~PART THREE~ [Chapter 39] In Love With My Best Friend (Patrick)

(Patrick's POV)

The entire ride to Elisa's was completely silent besides the music I turned on in an attempt to lessen the tension between us. I pulled into her driveway and she immediately got out. "Elisa!" I called after her, getting out as well, but she ignored me and disappeared into her house, slamming the door behind her.

I heaved a sigh and slipped back into the driver's seat. I closed the door behind me and kind of just sat there for a while before starting the car back up and driving to my mom's house, seeing as I wasn't going to be staying at Elisa's that night.

I walked up to my room, making as little sound as I could've because I didn't want my mom to know I was there, and closed my bedroom door behind me. I took my coat off and hung it over one of the bed posts. I slipped my shirt off as well as my pants and threw them to the side so I was only in my underwear. I turned off the light before walking over to the bed in the dark and slipping under the covers of my bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

That night was one of the most peaceful nights I'd had in a while, and it wasn't until the morning that I felt the guilt and the sadness that came with the painful truth - Elisa and I had cheated on each other. I kissed Lexy and she slept with Spencer. And that left the two of us with a big decision: Were we going to stay together and put it behind us or were we going to break up and go our separate ways?

*****

I needed to talk to someone desperately. I needed help. I didn't know what to do. And although they might not know what to do either, talking to them would maybe at least make my decision a little more clear.

So I walked up to the apartment door and knocked. "Pete," I called, shoving my hands into my coat pockets and beginning to rock back and forth.

I waited a little for him to answer the door, and when he didn't, I called his name again. "Pete!" I took my hand out of my pocket and knocked again, this time harder. Still no response. "Come on, Pete, it's after noon! Get up and let me in!" I knocked for the third time, any harder and I felt like I would break the door.

When there was still no sign of him getting up, I took a step back and heaved a sigh. I reached up and was about to grab the spare key I had snatched up a few times before when I heard someone call my name.

"Patrick?"

I turned my head in that direction and saw Pete, Catherine, and Lexy standing at the opposite end of the hallway. My eyes widened in shock.

Lexy dropped the bags she had in her hands and pushed past Pete and her sister, running down the hall and pulling me into a hug. I hugged her tightly back.

"Oh my god, you-you're here," I muttered into her shoulder.

"Yeah," She murmured, stepping out of the embrace and looking up at me, the corner of her lips curling up into a smirk.

"What about your-?" I began to ask when my voice trailed off. But I didn't need to finish my question for her to know what I was talking about.

"He understands," Lexy replied, "He pretty much told me that if moving back here would really make me happy, then he understands. All he wanted was for Catherine and me to be happy anyways." From down the hall, Catherine scoffed, as if she didn't believe that her dad really said that. "And being here...seeing you...knowing I'm here to stay..." She smiled widely, "I don't think I've ever been happier."

I smiled back. I was about to lean in and kiss her when I remembered about the night before and Elisa, which reminded me of my purpose here. I stopped myself and sighed, "I'm happy for you, Lexy." I placed my hand on her upper arm and smirked.