~PART ONE~ [Chapter 17] That Could Work (Patrick)

(Patrick's POV)

"Lexy!" I exclaimed under my breath, rushing up to her and pulling her into a tight hug, even picking her up to spin her around. I set her back down on the ground and the two of us just smiled at each other. I cupped my hands on her rose-colored cheeks and asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see your concert, duh," She replied with a laugh.

"No, I mean...what are you doing here? In Chicago? Shouldn't you be in New Jersey? Dying?"

She giggled, "Well, yeah, but Catherine woke me up this morning and told me we were going a road trip. She didn't tell me we were going to Chicago until we were in the car, already halfway there. She says we're staying the whole weekend," She answered, snaking her hands around mine and squeezing them slightly.

I laughed in disbelief, "That's...That's great!" She smiled even wider than she already was. I grinned once more before looking into her blue eyes, leaning in, and kissing her. She slipped her arms around my back and pulled me closer to her.

Everything was perfect at that moment. I had a crowd down the hallway and to the right, waiting for me and the guys to walk out on stage. I had the girl of my dreams, right in my arms, lips pressed against mine. I never wanted the feeling to end. But I had a show to put on. I pulled out of the kiss and a confused look crossed her face. "I've got to perform," I explained.

She looked at me for a little before stepping back and saying, "Oh." I turned around and picked up my guitar. "Hey, um, maybe we could meet up after the show?" She questioned.

"Of course!" I answered, turning towards her, "The guys and I would love to have you around once again."

"I was thinking maybe just you and me," She added shyly, the rose pigment in her cheeks intensifying and her arms crossing over her front.

I smirked, "That could work too."

She smiled that brilliant white smile, "Great. Well, I'll see you on stage."

Lexy turned around and walked out of the dressing room. But I forgot to ask her something, so I rushed out into the hallway and called out to her, "Hey! Why didn't you call me that whole time you were gone?"

She stopped in her tracks and glanced over her shoulder at me. "What are you talking about? I called you and you didn't call me back."

I dropped my arms to my sides, "I never got a call."

She pivoted her body so that she was facing me, "I called you the morning after the party at Elisa's. Your mom picked up and told me you were still asleep, which didn't surprise me. You always sleep in."

"My mom never told me you called."

She opened her mouth to reply to me when I felt someone's strong hand grip my shoulder. I looked over my shoulder to see my manager. "Come on, Patrick, we're just waiting for you," My manager told me, patting me on the shoulder before walking away.

I turned back around and called down to Lexy, "I'll see you later. Meet me back here after the show, alright?" She nodded her head in understanding before turning around and going in the opposite direction I needed to go in.

I couldn't suppress the smile on my face as I found my way to the back of the stage we were booked at to find my three friends.

"Where have you been?" Pete asked, "We've been waiting forever for you!"

"I was talking to someone," I told them, purposely leaving out the part about Lexy, before walking out onto the stage.

The crowd went wild. The smile on my face grew even bigger than it already was as I waved to my fans. The rest of the band followed shortly after me and the cheer and applause amplified. We got into our places and all exchanged one glance before starting off the set with our popular song, "Dance Dance".

*****

"THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT, CHICAGO!" Pete shouted into his microphone before the four of us walked off stage. Pete, Andy, Joe and I shared a four-way high five as the high-pitched screams from our fans continued. We met up with our manager and started making our way towards the tour bus that was parked in the back. That's when I remembered I was going to meet up with Lexy.

"Hey, um, I think I forgot something in the dressing room. I'm going to go get it real quick," I rattled off, not even making sure they heard me before darting back into the concert venue. As I was running through the halls towards the dressing room, I bumped into someone.

"I'm so sorry!" The two of us apologized in unison.

"Elisa?" I croaked, realizing who I had bumped into.

A smile grew on her face, "Hi, Patrick."

"W-what are you doing here?" I stuttered, impatiently tapping my foot as I waited for her to give me an explanation. I didn't want to keep Lexy waiting.

"Well, I thought maybe we could have another night like we did a few weeks ago," She answered seductively, grabbing me by the collar and pushing me up against the wall.

I chuckled nervously, "I would really like to, Elisa, but I-"

"What's the rush? You have a date already...?" She began to run her finger up and down my torso. I slammed my head back into the wall as a sensation ran through my body.

"N-n-no...y-yes," I pushed her away from me with all my might and sighed. She cocked her head to the side, a perplexed expression on her face. "I'm sorry, Elisa, maybe another time. But right now, I have to grab something I left behind and then get on the tour bus to go to the next concert." Which was sort of true. We were doing two concerts this weekend, one here in Chicago and then one in Springfield.

And it's not that I didn't like Elisa. Because I did. A lot. But I liked Lexy too. No, I loved Lexy. But she was going to leave after this weekend and I didn't have her new number to call her. As for Elisa, she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon (at least that I know of). And she went to the same school I did. So I opted to give her a counter-offer, "Here, how about I get a friend to give you some tickets and we can meet up at another show?"

She bit her lip as she debated whether or not to accept it. She heaved a sigh and said, "Fine. I guess that could work."

I smiled and gave her a quick kiss on the lips, "Thanks for understanding. I'll have my friend give you the tickets as soon as possible." I stepped away from her and ran towards the dressing room. I slowed down my pace as I approached the room, where Lexy and Marie were standing outside the door, talking. Lexy turned her head in my direction and smiled.

"I better leave before you two start fucking in the hallway," Marie told her friend jokingly before walking past me, winking at me in the process. I looked back over at Lexy and exhaled loudly, bending over as I caught my breath.

I heard Lexy's easily recognizable laugh. I looked up at her. "What did you do? Run here?"

"Actually, yes," I answered, standing back up and walking over to her, wrapping my arms around her back and shortening the distance between the two of us. She slung her arms around the back of my neck. I leaned in and kissed her, continuing what we had started before the concert.

Before I could deepen the kiss, she pulled away from me. I gave her a befuddled look. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, you just...you've changed since I've left," She murmured, looking up at me.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know. It just feels like you've changed. Like you're a different guy, that's all."

I didn't know what to say. Had I changed? I didn't think I changed...

She ran her fingers over my shoulders and down my torso, changing the subject, "I see you're wearing the fedora."

"It suits me, what can I say?"

She smiled, "I miss you."

"I miss you too," I replied, leaning in and pulling her into another kiss.