~PART ONE~ [Chapter 15] Number Six (Patrick)

(Patrick's POV)

It's been a few weeks since Lexy and Catherine moved to New Jersey. My new neighbor Sarah is really nice and she walks to and from school with me, even if she's a senior and she's way out of my league (though I don't see her in that kind of way). I also thought of some new lyrics for the song I've been writing.

And I cast a spell over the west to make you think of me
The same way I think of you
This is a love song in my own way
Happily ever after below the waist

I still don't know what to call the song yet though, or how it's even going to go.

Other than that, things have been pretty normal. Until one night...

*****

The four of we guys, dressed as Fall Out Boy, walked into a local burger joint before one of our concerts to get some food. The distinction between who we were at school and who we were at concerts was starting to blur as Pete started wearing the black shirts and other dark clothing to school and "forgetting" to take off the guyliner and Andy started wearing short sleeves, revealing his tattoos. It was like Joe and I were the only ones who remembered that we were keeping the band thing a secret. Maybe they had an alliance that neither Joe or I knew of.

As we approached the counter to order the usual (two number five combos for Joe and Pete, a number seven combo for me, and just a basket of fries for Andy because he's been trying this new thing out called veganism) I heard her voice.

"Yeah, I'm so excited to see them tonight," She told the person she was sitting with, "I hope to catch him before he leaves and hopefully reconnect with him." I glanced over my shoulder and saw Elisa sitting with a girl I've never seen before at a table in the corner. The two of them were wearing Fall Out Boy t-shirts. The trays on their table had been cleared off and they were just sitting there. "And it's not like I'm some crazed fan. He and I hooked up the night of my party." My eyes widened.

"What about you, Pattycakes?" Pete's voice sounded from my right.

"What?" I retorted, keeping my eyes on Elisa.

"What are you going to get?" Pete asked me.

"A n-number six," I stuttered, still looking over at the table in the corner. I couldn't seem to take my eyes away from it. And her. And-

"A number six?" Joe remarked.

"What?" I finally snapped out of the daze I had gone into and looked at my three friends, who were all looking at me like I had something on my face. Which I thought because they weren't saying anything, so I brought my hands to my face and asked worriedly, "Is there something on my face?"

"No, you just...you've never ordered something besides a number seven before," Andy said, confused.

"So, let me get this right," The cashier behind the counter cut me off before I could say something, "Two number fives, one basket of fries, a drink, and a number six?"

"Yeah, sure, whatever," Pete grumbled as he pulled out his wallet and opened it, "How much will it be?"

"Twenty four eighty six," The cashier retorted. Pete pulled out thirty dollars and handed it over.

By the time we got our food, Elisa and her friend had left and we took their table. Joe distributed the food on the two trays between the four of us and we began to eat, except I wasn't really hungry for what I ordered so I kind of just stared at the burger on the small paper plate as I picked at my fries.

"You shouldn't have ordered a number six if you weren't going to eat it," Pete said.

"I wasn't paying attention," I retorted, dropping the fry I had picked up to eat but lost the appetite for.

"What were paying attention to instead?"

And without thinking about what I was saying, I replied, "Elisa." But as soon as her name slipped my mouth, I regretted it. "Wait, no!"

"Oooh," Pete cooed as he set his burger down and wiped his hands on his pants, "Patrick's got a little crush."

"I do not!"

"Then why are you blushing so much, man?" Joe inquired with a laugh. I covered my face.

"Come on, guys," Andy butted in, "Give him a break. We've all had crushes before." Pete and Joe rolled their eyes. Andy looked over at me and grinned, "So, Elisa, huh?"

"I don't like her," I tried to tell him, though I hadn't convinced anyone (specifically Pete and Joe).

"Then how come you were giving her the look you used to give Lexy?" Pete interrogated.

"I'm not giving her the look!" I cried, frustrated with Pete, "And I didn't give Lexy a look either! I don't even know what look you're talking about!"

"Speaking of Lexy," Andy remarked before Pete could respond to me, "What happened? Have you heard anything from her?"

I shook my head no, "She hasn't called me at all. Not to tell me how things are going. Not to ask how the party went," I hung my head and continued in a quieter tone, "I'm starting to think she's completely forgotten about me."

"She probably has," Joe joked, "I bet she met some other lead singer from another punk band and he's all she can think about." Andy elbowed Joe in the arm. "Ouch! What the fuck, man?"

"Not cool, Joe," Andy retorted.

Pete wrapped his arm around my shoulder and sighed, "I'm sure she's just been busy getting adjusted to the new town, Pat. I'm sure she'll call you when she can."

I sighed and rested my head on Pete's shoulder. Normally I wouldn't even consider resting my head on his shoulder. And I would pluck his arm off of me and glare at him. But not today. Not this time.

*****

The concert was just about to start. I was in the dressing room the venue provided the guys and me. I was standing in front of the phone on the wall. I picked the phone off of the receiver and dialed the number I remembered by heart when I was six years old. I wanted to talk to Lexy before going on stage so she calm my nerves down like she used to do (usually in person). But instead of hearing her voice or the sound of ringing, I heard the well-known electronic female voice.

"The number you dialed has been changed, disconnected, or is no longer in service. If you feel have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again."

I growled in frustration before slamming the phone back in its cradle.

I leaned forward, resting my head against the wall. I can't do this, I thought to myself, Not like this. I couldn't even start to think about performing. Just then, I heard the door to my right click open. "Hey, guys, I don't think I-" I remarked, thinking it was Pete, Joe, and Andy, but when I turned, I froze up. My eyes widened.

"Hey, Patrick."