~PART ONE~ [Chapter 11] The Fire Escape

Lexy brought the last box labeled "Lexy's room" to her bedroom and set it down on the floor. She heaved a sigh and turned around, seeing Catherine sitting on the end of her bed in her new bedroom, hands covering her face and her back shaking. Her sobs were muffled by her hands. Lexy walked across the hall and into her sister's bedroom. "Cath?" She whispered.

Catherine looked up at her with puffy and bloodshot eyes. "What? What do you want, Lexy?"

Lexy dared to walk further into the room and even sat down by her sister. Lexy heaved a sigh and asked, "Not taking the move well, huh?"

"Of course I'm not!" Catherine cried out, dropping her hands into her lap and looking over at her younger sister, "I had to break up with Brendon! Because everyone knows that long distance relationships never work out!" She covered her face once again, "Oh my god, Lexy, if you saw his face when I told him..."

"You should've heard Patrick on the phone when I told him I was leaving," She murmured in response, pulling her legs into her chest and resting her head on her knees. "He was devastated. So I kind of know how you feel."

"No you don't," Cath mumbled through her hands, "You weren't dating him, sis. He was just your friend. Brendon was my boyfriend. There's a difference."

Lexy bit her tongue, debating whether or not to tell her about what happened right before they moved. Patrick and she weren't technically boyfriend and girlfriend. All they shared was a kiss. That was it. So she decided not to and just replied, "Yeah, I guess you're right. But still..."

Cath sighed and rubbed her eyes, "I really hate dad for this. I really do. Taking us away from the one place we called home. For all of our lives too! I mean, seriously. He took us away from our friends and family just because he couldn't live in the house our mom killed herself in anymore..." Lexy glanced over at her sister and remained silent. "You think it was easy for you and me? Losing her? She was our mom. Our mom. But you didn't see us just get up and leave!"

Lexy didn't know what to say, she was speechless.

"And dad says we've changed," Cath continued, "Personally, I think he's changed."

"He lost his wife, Cath." Lexy tried to tell her.

"We lost our mom!" She argued, "How do you think we feel?"

Lexy tugged at the collar of her shirt, the room's temperature suddenly rising, and murmured, "Can we not talk about this anymore?" She swallowed hard, "It was hard enough the first time...I don't want to talk about it again."

"I'm sorry, Lex," Cath apologized, "I just..." She flopped back and sighed, "I'm really upset."

"You don't have to be." Cath tilted her head up, gibing her sister a bizarre look. Lexy looked back at her and remarked, "You can still call Brendon, you know. Just because we moved doesn't mean that we have to stop talking to our friends."

She gasped, sitting upright, "Oh my god, Lex! You're right!"

"I do have some good moments," Lexy said to herself more than anyone else, smirking ever so slightly.

"I'm going to go call him right now and tell him exactly what you told me - how just because we moved, doesn't mean I have to stop talking to him! Thanks, Lex," She gave her sister a quick hug before rushing downstairs to where the phone was.

Lexy heaved a sigh and got to her feet, walking over to her bedroom and stepping through one of the windows and out onto the fire escape. She heaved a sigh as she sat down, beginning to think about what it was going to be like there in New Jersey. Away from all her friends. Away from the guys. Away from Patrick.

She decided she would call Patrick tomorrow to ask him how the party went.

*****

I woke up to the sun blinding me. I hissed like a vampire before rolling over on my side in my bed. But something was there, or should I say someone. I sat back and rubbed my eyes. My vision cleared up (only slightly) and that's when I saw her. Oh shit, I thought to myself, what's she doing here?

I glanced over my shoulder and squinted my eyes. 11:32a.m. My eyes widened. Elisa rolled over on her side towards me and slowly opened her eyes, a smile creeping on her face. "'Morning," She murmured as she sat up, pulling my sheets with her as to cover (what I assumed was) her bare chest.

"Morning," I retorted softly, running my fingers through my hair as I failed to remember what happened the night before. "Did we...?" I asked, motioning between the two of us.

She giggled, "You're cute, Patrick," She stepped out of the bed, and to my relief, she wasn't topless. She still had her bra on, as well as her jeans. I sighed in relief, my thoughts were proven wrong. Or so I hoped. Elisa picked up her shirt off of my floor and slipped back into it, "Well, I hope to see you again sometime soon." She smiled at me as she walked over to her door, opening it.

"Wait!" I called out to her, jumping out of bed and looking down to see I was shirtless, as well as pant-less. I quickly tried to cover myself up before going on to say, "You shouldn't go out that way. My mom might see you."

"Your mom?" She inquired, crossing her arms over her chest, "I thought you told me last night that you lived here with the band."

"Right," I remarked, scratching behind my head, "Sorry I meant to say...I meant to say Marcus. Because if he or the band sees that I brought home someone...they won't be too happy with me," I lied, "We have this stupid rule we made up that we're not allowed to bring anyone home with us." She gave me a confused look. "I know, crazy right? But I'm serious, if they see you here...they might kick me out of the band."

"Well we don't want that happening," Elisa replied, walking back in my room and closing the door behind her, "Where should I go?"

"Um..." I looked over at the window in my room that led out to the fire escape, "Here." I walked over and opened the window, looking out at the fire escape. I looked back at her and apologized, "I'm sorry you have to leave like this."

"It's okay," She met me by the window and kissed me passionately. I tensed up. She pulled out of the kiss and smirked, "It's worth it." She then crawled through the window, waved to me, and started down the fire escape. I closed my window and heaved a sigh, leaning back on the window and covering my face with my hands.

"Were you talking to yourself?" My mom's voice sounded. I dropped my hands to my sides and noticed my mom standing in my bedroom doorway.

"Y-Y-Yeah!" I exclaimed, "I...I was thinking about something and you know how I can get...talking to myself," I slipped my hands into my jean pockets and began to sway back and forth on the balls of my feet.

She stared at me for the longest time before saying, "Well, I came here to tell you something, but now I forgot. So...yeah." She stood there a little before snapping at me to get dressed. "It's nearly noon, Patrick."

"Yes, mom," I replied before she spun around and walked away.