~PART TWO~ [Chapter 36] Truce (Patrick)

(Patrick's POV)

The sky was pitch black by the time I had returned to Chicago. I pulled into my mom's driveway and, sure enough, in the light coming from my car's headlights, was Pete, sitting on the porch in the faintly falling snow. He appeared to be asleep, with his eyes closed and his head tilted back, resting on the house. I heaved a sigh and turned my car off, getting out and slamming the door, waking him in the process. "Pete, what the hell are you doing here?"

"W-We need to t-talk," He stuttered as he stood up, shivering and shaking the snow that had accumulated on his clothes while he was sitting there off.

"Yeah, but..." I started to say as I approached him, "...I didn't think you were serious when you said you would meet me here. Tonight."

"Why wouldn't I be serious?" He laughed.

I sighed, "Look, Pete, I'm exhausted, man. I've been driving all day almost. I just want to wash up a little and then go to bed. We can talk to tomorrow. Promise."

He grabbed onto my upper arms and looked up at me with wide eyes. "But P-Patrick, we need to t-talk. Now."

"No!" I pushed him away from me and he fell down on his butt, "I'm too tired to talk now. I need to wash up and go to bed. I'm exhausted."

"And you think I'm not?" He replied angrily, getting up on his feet and brushing the flakes of snow off of the back of his jeans. "I haven't slept for days, Pat. Days. And you know why? Because I can't stop thinking about what happened between us." I crossed my arms over my chest, giving what he has to say a chance. "You and I don't have fights like that. We shouldn't fight like that. It's just...I think things have been a little different ever since Lexy left...you know?" He scratched behind his head, "I mean, I don't think we really realized it at first, but I'm starting to. I have. Everything started going downhill when she moved. Jennifer and I broke up. You went all..." He motioned to me, "...that." I raised my eyebrow in suspicion. "The only good thing that might've happened after she left was that Joe and Marie got together."

"That was going to happen no matter what," I interjected with a slight chuckle, slipping my cold hands into my pockets.

Pete laughed, "Yeah, I won't deny that."

The two of us stood there in silence for a little before Pete cleared his throat and said, "I'm sorry, P-P-Patrick." His breaths appeared in the air as a white mist and vanished within a matter of seconds. "I-I shouldn't have snapped a-at you like th-th-that."

I smirked, "And I shouldn't have b-b-b-brought up J-J-J-Jennifer."

In the darkness, I saw him grin, "Truce?"

"Truce."

The two of us stuck our hands out and shook on it. My smirk turned into a smile.

Author's Note: Apologies for the shortness of the chapter and updating a day late (I have a bunch of schoolwork to do this weekend because I maybe sort of waited till last minute to do it), but here's the chapter. Pete and Patrick made up! Woo hoo! On a completely different note though, this is the END OF PART TWO. Next update will be Part Three, the final part! How are things going to turn out? I don't know, you'll have to wait and see. Thanks for reading and I hope you liked it! -Rachael