~PART THREE~ [Chapter 47] Not Wanted (Patrick)

(Patrick's POV)

Catherine hung up the phone angrily, screaming in frustration.

"What'd she say?" I inquired worriedly.

"She told me she was going back to see dad. And that she made a mistake coming back here," Catherine informed me, informed all of us, handing me my phone back.

"What?" Pete remarked, "Her coming back was probably the best thing to happen! Especially for you, Patrick! God knows how many chances you've had at being with the girl you really love!" The second he finished his statement, he realized that Elisa was in the room and gasped, covering his mouth with his hands. "Oh shit. Elisa, I-" He tried to save himself, but before he could, Elisa scoffed and went to leave the apartment.

"Wait, Elisa!" I called to her, stopping her before she could walk through the threshold of the front door.

"Don't even bother, Patrick," She snapped at me, jerking her head in my direction and pointing her finger at me accusingly, "I knew you couldn't stay away from her. I knew you still loved her."

"No, Elisa, I love you!" I rushed up to her, completely neglecting the fact that there were other people in the room. "Lexy and I were a thing of the past. Hell, we weren't even a thing because I didn't tell her I liked her until the day she was leaving. And I only did that because I thought I was never going to see her again."

"So I was your rebound. The girl you settled on when the girl you really wanted to be with left. Good to know."

"No, that's not true, Elisa!"

She shook her head and stuck her hand up, "Save your breath, Patrick. You and I are through. Go be with the girl you really want to be with." And with that, she spun around and left the apartment, slamming the door behind her. I jumped, as did everyone else.

A tension-filled silence blanketed the small apartment.

"This is just great," I muttered under my breath, picking my hat off of my head and throwing it like a frisbee to the side, turning around so I was facing everyone, "Just fucking great."

"Patrick-" Pete tried to say to me.

"Why is it that all the girls I like end up leaving me?" I thought aloud, cutting him off, as I began to pace back and forth. "First Lexy leaves me, not once, but twice." I held up two fingers to emphasize my point. "And now Elisa's left me. And I don't think there's even a sliver of a chance that Elisa will take me back."

"Okay, so maybe there isn't another chance for you and Elisa," Marie interjected, "But there might be one for you and Lexy. She doesn't have to leave you twice. You can go to the airport and stop her from getting on that plane."

"But that's the thing," I retorted agitatedly, stopping in my tracks and looking at the six of them, "I don't want to stop her. She deserves to be happy and...it's obvious that she's not happy here, not with how things are now."

"What do you mean 'not with how things are now'?" Joe questioned me.

They didn't understand the situation like I did. They didn't realize that things have changed, that people have changed, and it wasn't just me this time. Everyone had someone now - Joe had Marie, Andy had Jackie, Pete had Catherine, and I had Elisa (well, I used to). So when Lexy came back, it was like she was left out. The new girl in the class but all the seats were full and she had to stand in the back.

They just didn't realize it. And I didn't really realize until tonight.

Lexy told me that she was leaving to go see her dad, see if he's doing okay because she's worried about him. But I knew that wasn't the case. The real reason Lexy was going back to New Jersey was because she felt like she wasn't wanted here, like she wasn't needed here. So she was going back to New Jersey, where her new place had been made. Where someone for her was. Whether it be Mikey or someone else.