~PART TWO~ [Chapter 27] Bang The Doldrums (Lexy)

(Lexy's POV)

I shouldn't have kissed Patrick back. I was with Mikey. I liked Mikey. I might've even loved Mikey. But at that moment, I...I don't know. It was like all my feelings that I had for Patrick that I put aside when I started dating Mikey came back. And I didn't want it to end. But of course, my dad had to come in.

"Hi, Mr. Jackson," Patrick retorted with a nervous laugh.

My dad looked at both of us, probably debating who he was going to yell at first, who he was more upset with. Me for having someone in my room when I was grounded or Patrick for being in my room, in the house, even after he told him to go home.

I swallowed hard and said calmly, "I can explain, Dad."

"No," He snapped, shooting his index finger in my direction but not looking at me. Instead he had his eyes locked on Patrick. "I thought I told you to go home." Patrick's cheeks grew a bright red. "What part of 'go home' do you not understand, Mr. Stumph?"

"No part, sir," He replied sheepishly.

"Then go home," My dad growled through his clenched teeth.

"Y-Yes, sir," Patrick stuttered, getting up from my bed and brushing past my dad without ever looking back at me. My dad's head turned as he watched Patrick walk past him. Once Patrick was gone, my dad turned to look back at me.

"You are going to be in so much trou-" He began to say when I rose to my feet and ran past my dad. "Hey!" He called to me as I rushed down the stairs just as Patrick grabbed the doorknob to the front door.

"Wait!" I screamed. Patrick looked back over his shoulder at me. I rushed down the rest of the stairs and slipped in between him and the door. "Patrick, don't go. I haven't seen you in so long." I took his hands in mine and interlocked our fingers.

"I know, Lexy, but this was a mistake," He muttered, "I should've never come."

"No!" I cried, holding his hands even tighter, "No, I'm glad you came." He looked down at our intertwined hands but said nothing. "I don't want you to go," I added softly.

"I don't want to go either, Lexy. But your dad does and..." He slipped his hands out of mine and looked at me with his green eyes, "Your dad's someone I don't want to mess with. I'm sorry but-"

"Please," I cut him off, tears starting to fall from my eyes, "Please, don't go. I miss you. I need you." I used the words he did that night I was at the restaurant and he called me. He swallowed hard and opened his mouth to say something, but instead of his voice coming out, my dad's did.

"WHAT DID I TELL YOU!?!" My dad's voice boomed from the top of the stairs. I looked back and watched him as he started down the stairs. "I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO-" He continued to say when he suddenly lost his footing, slipped on one of the steps, and tumbled to the bottom. I stumbled back into Patrick's arms, petrified with fear as we stared at my dad's crippled body at the bottom of the staircase.

*****

It was ten o'clock in the evening and I was sitting in the waiting room next to Patrick, who had his arm wrapped around my back. My foot was tapping nervously and all I could think was that my dad was probably dead. I was an orphan.

"Everything's going to be alright, Lexy," Patrick tried to convince me. I shook my head no, tears starting to form in my eyes.

"What if it's not, though?" I croaked, keeping my head hung low, "What if...what if that fall cost him his life?"

He brought his thumb up to my cheek and wiped away the tear that had fallen from my eye, "Lexy, he just fell."

"Down a whole flight of stairs!" I reminded him.