~PART TWO~ [Chapter 35] Sleepless in Chicago - Part Four (Third Person)

Pete was back at his apartment. He was leaning against the counter in the kitchen and Catherine was at the stove, making something for them for dinner. It was around eight in the evening. (He and Catherine normally had dinners this late.)

In Pete's hands was his phone and on his phone, he had his contacts pulled up. He was staring at his friend's contact, hesitating to press the call button and debating whether or not he should even try calling him. Since he left Andy's apartment around noon-ish, he'd already called Patrick twice. Patrick hadn't picked up both times.

Third times the charm, Pete thought, Right?

"I need to go to the bathroom," Catherine remarked, setting down the spoon she was using to stir the pasta she was boiling down on a spoon holder, "Make sure it doesn't boil over, okay?" She asked Pete.

"Yeah, sure," Pete unconsciously replied, his eyes still locked on his phone. Catherine walked away.

Oh fuck it, Pete said to himself in his head, I'm calling him. And with that, he pressed the call button and held the phone up to his ear.

*Ring Ring*

Come on, Patrick.

*Ring Ring*

Please pick up.

*Ring Ring*

You can't ignore me forev-

"Hello?"

Pete's eyes widened. "Patrick?" He retorted in disbelief, walking out of the kitchen and into the living room.

"What do you want, Pete?"

"I...I can't believe you picked up. I've been trying to call you ever since our fight."

"I know."

"You don't know how relieved I am that you picked up, man."

"Well you better thank Lexy because I only picked up because she told me I was being a dick..." Pete couldn't help but laugh, and he swear he heard Patrick laugh too, "... and that you keep calling me because you wanted to talk to me. So...let's talk. What do you want to talk about?"

"Maybe we can meet up and talk?" The bassist suggested to the singer, "I mean, I don't think that what we have to talk about should be said over the phone...I think it'd be better if we talked about this in person."

There was long pause before Patrick responded. "Okay, sure. When and where?"

"Well, I'm free tonight." Pete looked over at the clock hanging on the wall.

Patrick heaved a sigh, "Tonight doesn't work for me, Pete. Right now I'm on the road, driving back from Lexy's."

"Oh," Pete replied, disappointed, sitting down on the couch and running his hand through his black hair that probably needed to be cut soon. It was getting a little long.

"Yeah. I'm at a gas station right now though in..." There was another pause, this one short, before Patrick finished his sentence, "...North Royalton, Ohio. If I had to guess, I'd say I have about five to six hours left to go. So I won't be back until...well after midnight."

"After midnight?" Pete repeated, "That's great! I'll meet you at your house!"

"Pe-" Patrick began to object when Pete hung up prematurely, just excited he finally had gotten a hold of his best friend and that he was coming back, even more excited that he was talking to him again and they were going to meet up to discuss things.

"Pete!" Catherine exclaimed, finishing Patrick's statement for him. Pete looked over and saw her rush into the kitchen. "I thought I told you to watch this while I was gone!" Pete stood up and saw that a white foam had come out of the pot and covered the stove and part of the floor.

"Oh, sorry, babe," He apologized. She shot him a glare over her shoulder before tending to the mess.