Intro

Hi, my name is Ellie Rose Smith. I am 23 years old and living the life now as an adult. I had just graduated from Boston College with a masters degree in Sports Med. and I will be going into the field as an athletic trainer. I've always wanted to help athletes ever since my older brother Mike got hurt a few times when he started to play his sport, hockey. He is a goaltender for the Calgary flames in the NHL. He's also played for the Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the Arizona Coyotes. I've always looked up to him so when I was 6, I started to pursue hockey too. I started playing on my own in my backyard pond where I grew up in Canada. My mom never liked me or my brother playing but especially me. She never wanted me to get hurt or get bullied because I was the only girl on the team and they had always used to say things but Mike would have always got in trouble fighting them on the ice for me. I then got on a boys team at the age 9 to play for an actual team. I played there for a year and then got on a girls travel team until I got into high school where I played for my high school team. I was the captain all four years even as a freshman. Boston college signed me in my junior year of high school but I had to graduate first of course. There, I was an assistant captain for 2 years and then made my way up to captain for the other 3 years. It was an amazing journey playing for them because we won two cups. One my sophomore and my senior year.

My father was never around. He was always caught up in trouble with the law and Mike, my mom and I did not want to do with him at all especially now we're all in a great place in our lives. It was always just us 3: me, my brother and mom. That's how we liked it. She was the one who worked two jobs, put food on the table, took both of us separate ways just so we can do what we loved: play hockey.
My "dad" has been in jail since I was 12 years old because he was robbing a house and shot the owner. Our life wasn't so great then but we all got through it and it's better than ever.

My mother is still living in Canada close to my brother who's playing for Calgary. I wish I could be there with them but I am on my own, finding my career. While I was in college, I had an internship for 2 with the Boston Bruins. I got to see the guys who my brother used to play with. Now, I will be heading down south to Dallas, Texas to be starting the new life there with the Dallas Stars. I cannot wait to take this journey on.
I made my way up to the NHL just like my brother did. I did it! My dream ever since I was a little girl.