34

Over the past few days, there has been lots of talk about players getting traded and what not. Jamie Benn. The name that keeps getting thrown around in deals throughout the league. No body knows what's going to happen with him. If he's going to be staying to play for the stars or get traded somewhere else. Its trade deadline day which is the day where teams wait then hit everyone with 'blank' has been traded to 'blank'. It's a tough day around the league and all the guys just sit in front of their tv all day and on their phones wondering what their future will hold. Jamie is the Stars best player, besides Tyler of course, he brings them in money, he's the captain, the star of the team, one of the faces of this franchise. It's like the Pittsburgh Penguins trading Sidney Crosby. You just can't.

This season, the stars aren't doing very well. It's going to be March soon and that means they have to march for the playoffs. They are looking to miss them this year because the way they've been playing has not been good. At this moment, they are no where near being in the playoff run.
Polák and Honka had already got traded earlier this week to St. Louis in exchange for picks in the draft.

Tyler luckily signed that 5 year deal to stay with the Stars and in the contract is a no trade Claus so we have nothing to worry about for our sake but we're still scared for what could happen to Jamie. This is their job, they knew what they were signing up for but no body ever wants to get traded to a different team after especially you've been in the same place your whole career.
Tyler and I were sitting on the couch and Jamie was sitting in the chair holding Calder. He's calls himself uncle dad. Ever since he was born, Jamie's been there. Spoiling him, helping me out, and even taking him to his house just to spend time with him.
It was almost 3pm which means the deadline is almost up. Teams were trading left and right and we all thought Jamie was safe and was staying here in Dallas but then we heard him say 'hello' so I looked over at him. Tyler nervous as hell, not breathing right, shaking his leg up and down.
"Hello... ah yes coach.... no no I understand.... yes... uh huh..... thank you so much.... yep I'll talk to you later... bye..." he gets off of the phone staring blankly.
"Benn" Tyler says waving his hand.
"Montreal" is all Jamie says. My heart sinks. He got traded. He's going to the Montreal Canadiens. I cannot believe he's gone.
I can tell Tyler is heartbroken. He doesn't know what to say or what to do. Jamie's been his mentor, the guy who fixes all of his problems, his brother, his teammate, his best friend.
Another thing about the job is you don't have a say. When he calls, you pack your things up and catch the next flight.
He was leaving tonight at 11 pm to be on his way to Canada so until then, we just talked and said our 'see you laters'.

Calder is one now so he's starting to do many more things and talk and walk. Jamie loves having him around and just being there for him as a fun 'uncle' and now that he's going to be leaving, Jamie is very upset about how he cannot be a proper godfather. He tells us to watch for many things in the mail and many visits back.

Since it's all out on ESPN, sports center, nhl network, and all the news apps that Jamie had gotten traded, many fans and players had posted their goodbyes and then you's so I thought I would too. Tyler posted a long and heartfelt message to Instagram and Twitter. I wanted to post some photos of us on Instagram with a message.
"Dear Jamie, the whole city of Dallas is going to miss you so much on this Stars team. They have no idea how much they lost and how much Montreal gained. You've been the bestest friend ever and the greatest godfather. When I first asked you to be Calders godfather, the first thing you said was, 'what if I get traded', and I told you that I don't care how far you are, what team you go to, where you move, you'll always be Calders godfather and that still follows up to this day. You know he'll be cheering you on clear from Dallas. We love you Benny. No matter what teams on the front. Thank you for EVERYTHING "

It's going to be so weird not having Jamie around here and not having him at the rink anymore. He's still going to have fans no matter where he goes and he's still going to be living his dream by playing hockey no matter he goes to in his career. I know he would have loved to be in Dallas his whole playing career, but knows that's not how the business works. I understand how hard it is getting traded from a team by yourself but I couldn't imagine if I had a family, kids, and a life in a city for a long time then boom, you get a phone call and have to pack up and catch the next flight somewhere that could be in a different country.

Everyone will find their place on the team and reconnect to start scoring some points to get into the playoffs. It's crazy how a team can win the Stanley cup and then come back looking like they never played together before.