Chapter 8: I Was Hoping It Was Kinky Stuff

Nova

My dog needed treats and shampoo and Finch needed socks. This is the third time this year I've had to get her socks I don't know where they're disappearing to. She has to have matching socks. Me? I never wear matching socks. It's bad luck. At least to me, anyways.

"So what do I have to do as your slave? Like...kinky stuff?" Finn interrupted my inner monologue, making me roll my eyes as he grinned. He's such a guy I swear.

"You can feed all the animals, do the laundry, and the dishes. Water the garden, harvest what's ready, and you get to cook. It'll be a nice break since I've been the only one doing the cooking for two years now. If you need help with anything ask Finch. Well except cooking. Don't let her touch my kitchen."

Finn sighed, slouching his shoulders as he looked at me. "I was hoping it was kinky stuff."

I narrowed my eyes at him, then thought of something. I'll never get with this dude but I know he wants me. I'm going to use that to my advantage. I grabbed his hand and pulled him into me, walking my fingers up his chest as I bit my lip and looked into his eyes that were wide in excitement. Almost like a kid on Christmas Day.

"It will.." I started, trailing my fingers further up his chest, "..never.." I trailed off, fisting my hand into the back of his hair and bringing his face close to mine. Our lips almost brushing. He looked at my lips and licked his own, his eyes meeting mine. "happen. So get over it."

I shoved him away with a laugh, turning and walking back inside the house.

I hope that boner hurts.

I went to the cupboard and grabbed my machete, checking how much ammo I had. And it wasn't a lot. I've taken out most of the Zombies in our small town so I don't have to worry so much but we needed more ammo too. And it wasn't easy to come by. I might have to go back to using my bow.

I was one of the top archers in the country. Archery was a dying breed but I loved it. I had plenty of arrows but I was saving them for the trip across the country. A bow was a lot safer to use than a gun was, and quieter. But that's why I was saving it. In more Zombie populated areas I can kill them without attracting more. That's why I've been saving what I have. But with Savages around I can't go out without a gun or weapon of sorts. You should never bring a knife to a gun fight.

I haven't used my bow in a while so I should practice before I leave. I grabbed the bow and sheath of arrows, heading out to the backyard. Finch was helping Finn tend to the garden, Halley and Lily were sitting on the porch swing talking, and Tommy had yet to wake up.

I grabbed a bag of mulch and took it out towards the back of the property. Not too far but I wanted to make sure I was still a good shot from this far away. I took a few more bags and put them at different distances, using dirt to make bullseyes and then headed back to the back porch.

I prepped my first arrow and took a deep breath, aiming for the center of the closest bag and sent the arrow flying. It hit directly in the middle. Nice to see I'm still good. But I had been doing archery since sixth grade, so clearly I'm just a little rusty.

Well, not that rusty.

Finn

"We have our own Katniss." I said with a grin, watching as she sent another arrow flying right into the middle of the bag that was a bit further away.

"If you call her Katniss she'll kill you. She was doing archery before it was a trend." Finch told me with a laugh, cutting off some tomatoes.

"So she's always been a badass?" I asked, pulling up some carrots.