Chapter 32: What's Happening to You?

Nova

I had my bat up and ready as Ashton and Tommy pulled the doors open.

"Girls stay back. Let me check it out first. Finn come with me."

Finn swung his bat in his hand and smiled at me.

I definitely returned it.

He looked extra hot today in an olive green v-neck and washed out jeans, black boots on his feet with my leather jacket.

I could eat him up.

"Let's go Killer."

We headed inside and looked around but I didn't see any Zombies. I listened closely and could hear some of them but they weren't close. I think we're okay.

"Alright you guys can come in. Stay quiet. Booker check it out." I ordered, all of us walking into the mall.

Everyone had their weapons up and ready, watching our surroundings carefully. Booker trailed ahead, sniffing things, marking his territory. He stopped and looked around the corner, turning to look at me and back at whatever he was seeing. Which was probably a Zombie. I discreetly sniffed the air and confirmed what I had heard before. There were only a few of them, not too many to worry me.

The food court is the first thing you see in this mall and when we made it there I saw several Zombies lingering around. There was four of them which means it's time to teach the girls how to use a gun.

I stopped Finn and opened the backpack, grabbing out my old guns. I unclipped Shasta and handed her to Finn so I could help the girls.

"Finch when we get ready to shoot plug Shasta's ears okay?"

Finch nodded, moving to stand in front of Finn.

"Mommy are you leaving?" Shasta asked, looking at me with a frightened expression.

"No Little One, I'm just going to help the girls. I need you to be quiet okay?"

Shasta nodded, resting her head on Finn's shoulder. I checked to make sure the clips were full before turning to face the girls.

"Alright girls. Here's a gun for each of you. I want you to take out those Zombies. We'll watch your back. Remember to aim for the head." I told them as I handed them the guns.

I took Halley first and got her into stance, placing her hands on the gun properly.

"This won't recoil much but it will be loud since we're indoors. So be prepared for your ears to ring."

She nodded, looking a little uneasy.

I don't blame her. I felt that way the first time Grayson took me out to go shooting too. It was my first time even touching a gun. I was an archer I didn't need a gun. But Grayson still wanted me to be prepared anyways. Smart man-he might've been preparing me for the Zombie Apocalypse the whole time.

"I wouldn't let you do this if I didn't think it was safe okay? Trust me. You'll be okay."

Halley nodded and got back into stance, aiming for the first Zombie.

"See that nick at the end of the gun?" I asked, pointing to it. She nodded again, biting her lip. "Aim that where you want to shoot. It helps you get a better shot. Take a deep breath and when you exhale pull the trigger. I'll be right here the whole time okay?"

Halley nodded again, doing as I said. She aimed for the Biter's head and took a deep breath, pulling the trigger as she exhaled. It hit the Zombie in the neck and I was impressed. Pretty good for a first time shot. The Zombies all turned to face us and began heading our way. They were slow and uncoordinated. Thankfully none of them were Sprinters or a true threat. Perfect for target practice.