Chapter 15: My Safe Haven

Finn

We were all waiting for Nova to eat. She'd been gone for a few hours already. I wonder what she's making. I should've gone with her instead of her going alone. Bad move on my part. But she can definitely take care of herself. I know that much. Still doesn't mean I don't like the idea of her being off by herself. Especially in unfamiliar territory.

"I'm so hungry. I need foooood." Halley whined, rubbing her stomach.

"Nova should be back any minute and then we can eat." Finch told her.

Not even a second later Nova came in, smiling with something hidden behind her back.

"I made you something Finch. This is only to be used in dire situations."

Finch nodded excitedly, sticking her hand out. Nova handed Finch the weapon and I was impressed. It was brass knuckles with knives melted into each knuckle. That could do some serious damage-to humans and Zombies alike.

"I don't condone you having up close kills but shit happens so I want you prepared."

Finch slid it on and struck her fist out, almost getting Tommy who stumbled back in surprise.

"This is awesome!" Finch cheered, punching with it again.

"Can we eat now?" Halley whined again, giving Nova a begging look.

"We could always eat in here-No Nova. We're eating in the cafeteria like everyone else."

Nova sighed and checked the ammo in her guns before nodding. "Fine. But we're not having a chat. We're eating and then coming back."

Nova kept a hand on her gun the whole walk, watching everyone around us with narrowed eyes. She picked the table closest to the door and you could tell she wasn't comfortable at all. I wasn't either. I didn't know any of these people and there was so many of them. It was a shit show waiting to happen. I knew she would do what she could to protect us but that still didn't mean I felt safe. Because I didn't. Not in a crowd this big.

"Are you okay?" Nova whispered, placing her hand on my shoulder.

I looked into her golden eyes and calmed slightly. But I was still on edge about being here. Especially since we're caged in by the wall surrounding this place.

"Nova I don't want to be here. It doesn't feel right."

She sighed, nodding her head. "I know. I don't want to be here either."

"Then pull a boss move and make them leave."

"Majority ruled Finn. We just have to always be aware while we're here."

I really don't want to be here.

"We gave them a week. I won't let anything happen to anyone. Don't worry."

But I was worrying. Hard.

"I don't know if I can do this for a week. Can we talk tonight? Like as a group?"

"That's a good idea. After dinner when we get back. I'll convince them to leave in a few days. Sound good?"

I nodded as Ashton and Amy joined us. Nova watched them with narrowed eyes, but everyone else didn't seem to mind their company. And then a few more people around our ages joined the table too.

"Who saved Ashton? The mystery duet." One of them asked.

Finch pointed to Nova and I. Nova glared at Finch but she wasn't phased. As I've said before she never is.

"We heard you guys killed almost a hundred deaders. Are you going to be leading the younger soldiers?"

Nova didn't respond. She just glared at them.