Chapter 77: Sensitive Nipples

Halley

I heard a terrified scream and ran to see what happened. I stopped at the beginning of the living area and paused. I really didn't want to go down there unless I absolutely had to but something was wrong. Everyone was getting up to investigate too.

Ashton lead with a gun in hand as Nova screamed again. We opened the door and made our way down into the engine room. Nova was having a nightmare. And Finn looked stressed out as he watched her.

"Finn! Stop! Please!" She cried out, thrashing on her cot.

I started to run up to her but Finn growled, his eyes turning black as he looked at me. He lunged for me but the cuffs held him back. I stumbled back straight onto my ass and stared at him with wide eyes as he tried to get to me. My heart broke further at the look in his eyes. He was looking at me like I was a threat-or his next meal.

Or both.

Nova screamed again and he looked at her, making a noise as he reached out for her. Finch pushed through and rushed to Nova's side, holding her down to keep her from hurting herself as she called out her name.

"Come on Nova wake up! Wake up!" Finch screamed, trying to shake her awake.

Finn was still making the weird noise, trying to reach out for her while growling at us every time we got closer to her. He didn't know if he should attack us or get to Nova.

It was weird seeing a Zombie wearing an expression.

Especially concern.

"WAKE UP NOVA!" Finch screamed, forcing Nova to wake.

Nova shot up, looking around with wide eyes as she breathed hard. It took her a moment to realize where she was and when she looked at Finn she broke down again.

"I know No. It's okay. It was just a dream. Everything is fine." Finch soothed her, holding her close as Nova held onto her for dear life.

"But it's not! It really happened! He's gone!"

Finch gestured for us to leave as Finn started to fight his cuffs more. Either to try and get to Nova, or attack us. Either way we left.

"Look at him Nova he's worried about you he's coming back it's okay." I heard Finch say as Ashton shut the door.

Shasta stood at the top of the stairs, reaching her arms up when I got to her. I picked her up and she buried her face in my neck, holding me as she cried.

"Is Mommy okay?" She asked, wiping her nose on my shirt.

Nice kid.

"Yeah. She's okay. Just a bad dream. Let's get you back in bed."

I put her in the bed next to Ben and sat at the edge of it until she fell asleep again. It just became even harder for me to be down here. I need fresh air. My heart was pounding in my chest and I felt sick to my stomach. That was not Finn I had to remind myself over and over again.

Finn never would've hurt me. That...it's...I can't even think straight. I've never been afraid of Finn once in my life but now I'm terrified. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's not him. Finn would never hurt me. He's just not himself.

I wrapped a blanket around myself and sat on the seats lining the boat as I fought back tears. Finn scared the shit out of me. He really would've attacked us if he wasn't cuffed. It hurt more than I'd like to admit. I've known him my whole life and didn't even recognize me. He wanted to hurt me. I know it's not really him but why out of all of us does he only recognize Nova?

"You gonna puke again?" Kyle asked as he sat down next to me, covering up with some of the blanket.

"I might." I teased, looking down as he smiled at me.

"I came prepared this time." He lifted his wrist and I couldn't help but to laugh.

He had a hair tie.

What a dick.

"He scared me. Why is it he only knows Nova and not any of us? We've known him longer. Had more time with him. Why does he only know her?" My forehead hit his shoulder as I sighed, fighting back tears.

I don't mean to sound like a jealous brat but it just confuses me.

Why her?

"Being in love with someone is different. You love them in a different way than you love family. Finn loves Nova in a different way than he loves you. It's amazing that he even knows anyone in his state. My own mother tried to kill me. I was her baby and she still tried to hurt me. They don't know love or empathy in their state. All they know is hunger. So don't take it personally. He's a one of a kind Zombie." Kyle put his arm around my shoulders and rubbed my arm. "It'll be okay Halley. He'll come back to us. He's just lost right now."

I sure hoped that was true.

**********

When I woke up Kyle and I were spooning on the seats. His arm was over my waist and my head was on his other arm that was holding me too. I was so comfy I didn't want to move. He was so warm it felt amazing.

I was actually cuddling the guy I have a crush on.

This is nice.

Someone cleared their throat and I recognized the voice immediately. And so did Kyle. He flung himself up which flung me off the seats. I hit the ground and turned to glare at him but he wasn't even looking at me. He was staring at Tommy.

"What do we have here?" Tommy asked, looking between us with a knowing grin.

"Tommy please don't be a dick. He was comforting me."

"Seemed like he was actually trying to feel you up."

I stood up and rolled my eyes, quickly snatching my hand out and grabbed his nipple. I twisted it, grinning when he gasped and tried to smack my hand away.

So I twisted harder.

"I am a grown woman I can make my own decisions. If I want to cuddle the guy I've liked for weeks I will. Stop controlling me. I'm old enough to make my own decisions. Understood?"

Tommy nodded so I released him, taking a step back. I could hear Kyle choking back a laugh behind me.

"If you hurt my baby sister just know I will sick Zombie Finn on you. He doesn't know the good guys from the bad. He only knows hunger." Tommy threatened before stalking off.

I sat down next to Kyle but didn't look at him. I was blushing pretty hard. Saying I'd liked him for weeks kind of slipped.

"Your brother honestly scares the shit out of me but after seeing him do that little dance and and whine like a girl he kind of seems like a bitch."

I snorted out a laugh and nodded my head. "He is. He's all bark and no bite. He likes to play tough but he's a giant softy. I mean Finch is half his size and she calls the shots. He's just looking out for me. I'm his only family left. But he does need to stop controlling me all the time. I can take care of myself."

"Yes. You can. You just proved that. I thought you were going to hit him but you gave him a purple nurple instead. I like the way you roll."

I blushed harder, biting back my smile. "Tommy hates it. He always says he has sensitive nipples."

Kyle went to respond just as Nova called us in for breakfast. I could definitely eat. Especially if it's her pancakes. She makes the best pancakes.

"I hope she made pancakes. I love her pancakes." Kyle said as we headed towards the living area.

We had the same thought.

"Yeah, me too."