Chapter 74: One Single Beat.

Nova

We were a week and a day into our sail. Tommy said the wind has been on our side so we should make it to Hawaii in about a week. So that was nice. I was ready to go for a run. I think everyone else was going a little stir crazy too.

Finn was getting five injections a day and it was doing wonders for him. He had an even black to blue ratio of his veins. His eyes were still the muted grey but the red dots were going away. So that's progress.

I wanted Walowski to check on him but every time the man entered the room Finn became violent. Nobody but Finch was allowed in there. She was the only person other than me that he didn't try to attack.

He even sniffed at her but grunted and backed off. So I really do think Finch is immune to the disease now. My blood was the answer to everything. It was a defense against the dead and a cure for them.

I did feel bad for Tommy though. He tried a couple of times to see Finn but he didn't want anyone near me. I know it hurt Tommy that not only Finn wasn't himself, but that he only recognized me and listened to me. Tommy and Finn had way more time together than Finn and I shared.

You would think that Tommy would be the only person Finn knew in his state. But he only knew me. I really did feel bad for Tommy though. I could tell he missed his best friend. We all did. It wasn't the same without him around.

Finn and Finch were the light of our family. They were fun and charismatic, light hearted, always joking around and smiling. They made things feel okay even when they weren't. And now we were missing some of our light. But he was coming back. And that made me feel so much better.

I really was the cure.

I was saving him-just like I promised.

I made my way downstairs to give him his next injection. When I entered the room his eyes followed my every move until I sat down next to him. He put his hand on my leg and watched intently as I did my routine. When I finished I smiled big-because now there was more blue veins than there were black.

I looked into his eyes, but they still hadn't changed back to the beautiful green I missed so much. The red was gone, yes, but the grey remained. As I looked even closer I did see something that had me feeling even better though-there was a green speck in each eye in the midst of the grey. It really was working!

I have to get Finch. I need to make sure I'm not seeing things.

"Stay here!" I told him excitedly, running to the door and yanking it open.

I locked it behind me and practically flew up the steps until I got to the living area of the boat. I looked around for Finch but didn't see her.

"You're smiling?! What happened? Is he okay?!" Tommy asked urgently as he rushed towards me.

"He's fine he's fine! Well as fine as he can be. But his eyes are changing! I just need Finch to come look to make sure I'm not seeing things. Where is she!?"

Tommy's smile grew as he pointed to the seating on the boat outside. "Out there with the kids! I can't believe it's working!"

Tommy and I hugged before I busted through that door too and ran up to Finch, not saying anything as I grabbed her hand and dragged her downstairs. I unlocked the door and entered first with her right behind me.

"What's going on No?" She asked as I brought her over to him.

"Look at his eyes and tell me I'm not seeing things."

She gave me a weird look and then looked into his eyes. Finn didn't move the closer she got. Her face was right in front of his when her eyes went wide. She tilted his head back and forth, her eyes going even wider. Finn almost looked confused with what she was doing but I had to know I wasn't going crazy.