Chapter 9: I Like Eleven

Finn

"Remember-only shoot if necessary. I've killed most of the Zombies around town so we shouldn't run into that many. But we really need to preserve ammunition."

I nodded, taking a deep breath as she opened the door.

"We'll be fine, Finn. I won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

I paused my walking at her words-she seems to only make a promise if she can keep it. And hearing her say those words to me actually made me feel a bit better.

"I'd feel better if we were bringing Booker."

She nodded, heading back into the house. She came out a few moments later with the dog. She even handed me the leash. "He doesn't pull but if he does let the leash go and let him walk ahead. He might smell something."

I slid the leash over my wrist and we headed towards town. We were quiet but now I understood why. The dog had super hearing and was listening for any Zombies. He sniffed the ground, marked his territory, but never pulled on the leash.

When we finally made it to town I could tell she was right. The place was littered with dead, decomposing bodies but I saw no active ones. Booker's head perked up and he looked forward, then growled lowly. He pulled on the leash so I let go. He ran ahead and then faced a store. He looked back at Nova and then back at the door.

Nova pushed her hair away from her ear and listened too. She grabbed my hand and led me to the building. She shoved me against the wall and whipped out her bat with nails, handing me her bow. I haven't seen her use the bat since the day she saved us. That thing is so cool I really want one myself.

"Stay here and stay quiet."

I nodded, biting my lip as she slipped inside, leaving Booker with me. I felt okay knowing he was there he would alert me of one of them so I obeyed Nova.

Huh-I really am a slave.

I heard something crash inside and tensed up. I hope she's okay. She came out a few moments later covered in blood with a grin on her lips.

"I missed my bat. It's the most satisfying kill." She said with a smile.

Can you see why I'm into her? She's crazy. But I like it.

"Can I try?" I asked, holding out my hand. She narrowed her eyes at me and then looked at her bat.

"Okay fine. You get one kill. And I pick the Zombie." She said with a grin, handing it over to me.

"Deal." I agreed, taking the bat into my hand.

It had seen better days, and it was covered in old blood. Now fresh blood. There was even some chunks of brain in the nails. They covered the entirety of the bat. It was like some knock-off medieval weapon. It was pretty sick. And it wasn't too heavy either.

"Did you make this?"

She nodded. "I did. Took me two days but I just took Steve's bat to another level. I love Stranger Things. I wonder if Dustin is a Zombie. He was my favorite."

"I like Eleven."

"Eew dude. She's like twelve." She teased, even laughing a little.

"Oh fuck you I'm not a creep. I only date Zombie-killing red heads."

She rolled her eyes with a grin and walked away.

I followed with a smile.

I was wearing her down.

We made it to a store and she brought the end of her bat back, slamming it into the window. It shattered and she reached in, unlocking the door and gestured for me to wait. She went inside and Booker followed her this time.