Chapter 47: Your Son Is An Annoying Bitch

Nova

James surprisingly left me alone today. The only person to stop in and visit me was Walowski. He wanted to do a few more tests and I let him. I don't know why I trust him but I do.

So far he's kept his word to me about not sharing my information with James. James still doesn't know why I'm immune and I don't want him finding out. I can see him using the cure for all the wrong reasons instead of the right ones.

He wants power.

I want to save people.

Big difference.

"Here's some food. You'll need your strength. I know your people are coming for you."

I accepted the food gratefully, pretty hungry at this point. I haven't eaten in over four days. I do need my strength and energy for when they get here.

"Can I get paper and a pen?" I asked him, drinking the water he brought me. My throat was so dry it was like heaven in my mouth.

Walowski handed me a sheet of paper and his extra pen with a small smile.

How is someone involved with James so nice?

"Can I ask a favor of you, Nova?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, not quite sure what more he could want from me that he hasn't already gotten.

"Depends on the favor." I told him, watching him carefully.

"I would like to come with you when you leave."

"You're not coming with us." I told him, shaking my head.

We had enough people. We can't afford to have another.

"But I've deduced why you didn't change when you were bitten. I have vital information-Well then give it to me and I'll tell them." I snapped, reaching for his clipboard.

He pulled it away, giving me a pleading look.

"I want to get away from James Nova. Please let me come with you. I want to save people. And you can help me do that. So I can help you do that."

I sighed, tapping my foot against the floor as I contemplated it. Walowski really has been kind to me the entire time I've been here. I don't blame him for wanting to get away from James.

And he was honest too-he never gave James any information on me. Or told him that Finch might be immune too. He protected her when he didn't have to.

I guess he can come.

Having a doctor around might prove to be useful anyways.

"Fine. But I run shit. You listen to me or I leave you behind."

Walowski nodded, looking excited.

"They're coming for me the day after tomorrow. At night. So be ready."

He left the room and I sighed, slouching back. Another person we have to sustain for almost four months. I hope everyone is gathering supplies from the lists in my notebook. Finn found my letter, so they had to have found my lists. We're going to need more meat, and none of them know how to butcher up a cow so I'll have to do that.

I'm thinking we should just go to my aunt's house immediately and get the fuck out of Colorado. We'll need more gas and a good generator for her house but James' men won't know where we're going. It'd be the safest bet.

We can get more supplies on the way. We have two vehicles now instead of one and we could fit a lot of shit in the bed of the truck. It's about a day's drive from here. As long as we switch drivers, we should be able to make it in a straight shot without having to stop off somewhere to sleep.