Chapter 59: SCREEAYHHH!

Finn

It honestly felt like we'd been in the car for days. But according to Nova it'd only been barely twelve hours. I slept for about five of them. We had taken two bathroom breaks, filled our tanks, and then slept again. It did help time pass by.

Everyone had been awake for about an hour and they were all getting cranky. I think it's time to get out and stretch our legs for a minute. And another bathroom break. I offered to drive but she claimed she was fine but I could tell she was tired.

"Let me drive Killer. You need sleep too. Let me drive. We need a break anyways."

Nova sighed and rolled the window gesturing for those behind us to pull over.

"Everything okay?" Ashton asked as he leaned out of the truck.

"Switching drivers. You should too. Everyone get out and stretch your legs. We should eat something. It's probably time for you guys to gas up as well."

Nova watched our surroundings as we got out and stretched, going to the bathroom and getting a snack. We filled up both cars and hung around for about twenty minutes before Nova deemed it time to go. It took a minute for everyone to get loaded into the cars, but then we were on our way again.

Booker started whimpering and licked his wound, whining again as Nova looked at him. She picked up her bag and loaded a syringe with a pain killer before inserting it near his wound. She fed him another pill too. He lied back down and huffed. I felt it. I've never been on a trip that took this long. The longest I've been in a car was six hours. I was going crazy at this point.

I reached over and took Nova's hand, pulling it onto the center console.

I smiled as the ring glinted in the light.

It looked so perfect on her finger.

Finch gasped loudly, startling everyone. I looked around but didn't see any immediate danger.

"Umm...is that an actual ring on your finger?!" Finch shrieked, looking at Nova with wide eyes.

"Be quiet you'll wake up Shasta." Nova scolded her, pointing to the sleeping child in her lap.

"Sorry. You got engaged and didn't tell me?!" She whisper-yelled, shaking Nova's seat as she quietly screamed.

Nova laughed, shaking her head at her best friend.

She was blushing though.

I was too.

The girls started quietly squealing and it turned into a giant commotion. Nova may have changed since being with me, but she still didn't like being the center of attention.

"It's just a promise ring guys. Not engaged yet." She replied, rolling her eyes when they started cooing at us.

"Can I see it?" Finch asked, leaning over and taking her hand. She tilted her hand back and forth, "aww"-ing at her again. "How did Finn know to get silver? And it's a star too. Is that a real ruby?"

I nodded, proud with myself. I've never seen Nova wear any jewelry. No necklaces or bracelets, or rings. But I can tell she does love that one. She likes simple. I think that whole "the ring has to be worth three paychecks" is bullshit. She would've hated a big, flashy ring. She wants something that comes from the heart-not the wallet.

And that one?

It was perfect. Not only was it her favorite color, but it was a star too. I don't think she'll ever take it off. At least I hope she doesn't.