Chapter 78: Zombie's Don't Sleep

Nova

Over the next couple of days we were able to get gas and more food. We didn't get as much food as I would've liked but we had plenty of gas and that's what I cared about most. So now we were taking a mini vacation. We took turns on watch so everyone could relax and have fun.

I was sitting on the shore watching the kids play with the girls and Finch. Someone sat next to me and I looked over, seeing it was Tommy. I nodded at him and went back to watching the kids.

"I'm sure you already know what I'm about to ask you. You seem to know everything anyways. But I still want to ask you. I love Avery Nova. I love her a lot. We've been through so much together-all of us. But she's been there for me since day one. She didn't care that I was too thin or weak or dying. She chose to love me anyways. I want your permission to propose.

"I know we have a lot going on right now but I really want to take that next step with her. And I know she won't say yes unless I have your blessing. You don't have to give it to me if you don't believe it's time but I really want to Nova. She's the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. I know I don't deserve her but I want to try and be the man she deserves. It all depends on you. Do I have your permission?"

I looked at Tommy and raised a brow, staying quiet as I stared at him. I watched him slowly lose what little confidence he had and began fidgeting the longer I stared.

"Come on Nova say something. Anything. Now I understand why Finn gets so nervous when you stare at him. I'm terrified."

I cracked a grin and threw my arm over Tommy's shoulders. "I guess you can. But no matter what happens you can't back out. I don't believe in divorce. So if you even think about leaving her I'll have your head. And I'll mount it on the wall and stare at it as I drink my morning coffee. Is that a chance you're willing to take?"

Tommy smiled and nodded before getting up and running to Finch who was now tanning on her towel. He tossed her over his shoulder and ran off as she screamed at him to put her down. She'll be glad he didn't in a few minutes. My best friend was about to be engaged. I was definitely happy for her. It's too early for me but when you know you know I guess. I don't think I'd say yes to Finn quite yet. Marriage is a big step. I already know I'm going to be with him forever so why rush it?

But then I thought about Finn and what he would want. He would want to marry me. He already has said he wants to. So I'll make a promise-if he makes it through this I'll marry him within the next two years. I do want to be with him forever. Marriage is a big step yeah but this is Finn we're talking about.

He's my forever.

If he makes it through this I will marry him.

Once the sun was begging to go down I called for everyone to get back on the boat. They weren't happy but it wasn't safe to be out and about when it's dark. I listened closely for Finch and Tommy and heard some noises that made me want to gag.

I guess she said yes.

I called out for them too and heard them both complaining as they got dressed and headed my way. I told them to wait to make the announcement once we were out in open waters because I know they would want to celebrate. I started bringing up crates of wine and everyone looked at me, asking me what the occasion was.

"Ask Tommy and Finch." I replied as I sat down and popped open a bottle.

Everyone looked at the couple expectantly as Finch raised her left hand with an excited smile on her face. The girls started squealing excitedly with Finch so loud my ears were ringing. Tommy looked mighty proud of himself as everyone congratulated them.