Chapter Seven

Bad Dream - Ruelle

The world tilted around me as I screamed. Screamed for my life and the lives of everyone else on the Bounty. The flames licked up the planks, swallowing the rest of the deck.

I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist, pulling me backwards, away from everyone else. Tears streamed down my face. I couldn't control it...I couldn't do anything about it. That's what scared me the most. My entire life I've been independent, done things on my own and never asked for help. But right now, I need all the help I can get.

I'm too proud to admit it, though. I can do this. I can control myself. My emotions are getting in the way, like they always do, but I needed to control them. Right at this moment, as much as I hated to admit it, Lloyd was correct.

I need to focus. To calm down and relax. I could hear the Ninja's muffled voices, just barely. They were muffled by the power flowing through my veins.

I took in a deep breath, tears of fear still flooding down my face. Control yourself, I whispered. Control it.

My ears began to ring as everyone's screams grew louder and the green energy emerging from my hands was vanishing. I was doing it! I was controlling it.

The power drained me, though. Everything seemed to reverse, go back in time even though it wasn't. Maybe it was because I was...falling. Collapsing to the ground and hitting my head on the now blackened planks.

My vision blurred over, but I could make out a few colors. Like green, and blue, maybe some red, a little bit of black, a smudge of white...

I was so tired...so tired...

My ears were still ringing, but there was one thing in particular I could hear. "Stay with me!"

Someone was saying it over and over again...over and over again...

I wanted to stay awake, but I couldn't. I was so tired...Just one minute of sleep...one minute...

<><><>

My eyes slowly peeled open. The sky was still cloudy as ever, the sun nowhere to be found. My vision was finally clear, and I could see the Ninja were in my room. I sat up, the bed springs creaking under my weight.

I headache pounded at my temples, but the pain of that was nothing compared to the pain in my back. I squinted at the boys, and noticed that Nya was there, too.

She smiled softly at me. I tried to smile back, but it hurt my face. I looked over at Lloyd, who was sitting at the foot of the bed. His expression told me that he was worried and concerned about me, but also somewhat angry. Why would he be angry?

Oh, 'cause I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me? Is that why he's angry?

My eyes flickered over to the rest of the boys. Jay leaned forwards. "Are you related to Skylor Chen?" Jay asked.

"What?" I gasped.

Lloyd stood up and put a hand on Jay's arm. "Hey, dude, chill. Remember what just happened."

"Yes! And how can we know we can ever trust her? Huh?" Jay protested.

"I...what?" I tried to comprehend what they were saying. Skylor...my cousin Skylor?

"Tell us!" Jay pressed, glaring at me.

Lloyd snarled at Jay. "Jay, chill out. She's been through a lot."