Chapter Twenty Two

The Scientist - Coldplay

!TRIGGER WARNING!⚠️

His heartbeat filled my empty ears. I curled my arms up and leaned into Lloyd. Tears filled my eyes. I don't want Lloyd. I shouldn't want him.

Lloyd sighed and stroked my hair. "I love you..."

I didn't know how I felt. I hated him. I wanted him. I don't know. I sighed and cuddled into Lloyd, breaking down. My breathing was shaky and erratic and I felt that I couldn't control anything.

Lloyd tugged me closer, as if we could never get close enough. "Please don't cry," he whispered.

This only made me cry harder. He pulled my face away from his chest and took my face in his hands, gently swiping away at my tears with his calloused fingers. "I didn't mean it. You know I didn't. It was a terrible thing. I'm so sorry."

I looked up into his green eyes, the tears stopping for some time. "I did something even more terrible. Something way worse." My words were cold and emotionless.

"What?" Lloyd looked at me as if I had never done anything bad. But I did.

"I stayed back and trusted you. That's what I did." And with that, I turned away, leaving Lloyd alone on my balcony. This time, I could care less if he chased after me or not.

"Y/n!" He called. "Please come back. Please."

I stopped, holding my arm in one hand, not allowing myself to turn around and look at him, because I knew that if I did, I would be running back into his arms in less than a second.

"Y/n, I'm sorry. Hate me, but don't leave me. You're all I care about. You're all I have cared about in what seems like forever. I don't know what I'm supposed to say, exactly, but I do know that I want you to stay. It's selfish of me to want you to be with me, because I know you won't be happy, but I can't stand the thought of not being around you. You're willing to give up on us, but I'm not. And I said it already. I love you. Maybe it's too soon for you to hear that, but I was told that when I love someone, I should tell them, even if it's very, very wrong. I don't know what else to do. Sure, I'm the famous Green Ninja, but that could never make me as happy as I am when I'm around you. I didn't do anything with Laura. It may seem like it, and if I had more time I would explain why I did what I did. I'm a selfish bastard, but I love you. Those words can't even scratch the surface of how I feel towards you. We've shared only a few moments, but that doesn't change the way I am going to look at you."

I picked at my arms. His words hit me like arrows. I didn't know if he was trying to make me feel better, or trying to hurt me even more.

"Y/n, as soon as I talked to you, as soon as my eyes landed on you, I realized I had been feeling homesick forever. When I'm with you, I'm happy. I laugh more, smile more. You're the one who makes me smile. And I hope I made you smile for a time, even if it was just a short while. Because I see how you're sad. I see how you hurt yourself, and I see your pain. You don't deserve that. You should have the best. Someone like you...You're too good to be with a guy like me. And now that I said that, you're probably wondering why I'm asking you to stay when I just told you I'm not good enough. I don't know what I'm saying anymore."

Lloyd's sad tone and his romantic words pinched at my heart. I couldn't make sense of anything that was happening. Did he really love me?

<><><>

"We love you, Y/n."

My parents kissed me goodnight, rubbing my head.

"Nothing is going to happen to us. We'll be safe. The Ninja will come save us."

Fourteen-year-old me smiled at my parents. Yes, the Ninja will save them. If anything ever happened to them, it would only be a litte scratch at the most. They were safe. They loved me. The Ninja were going to protect us.

-

It's been six months since my family died. I don't talk unless I need to. I shouldn't have to. I don't want to.

-

One year has passed since their deaths. The Ninja still never came. I shouldn't have still been expecting them, but I was. I was always waiting for them to come back and tell me they're sorry. They never came. I shouldn't have depended on them so much.

-

The city was under attack. I held my phone tightly in my hand, nervous sweat beading down my temples. Shards of glass went flying around, crashing to the ground from a tall building before shattering to a million parts. A smile played with my lips as I snuck closer to the battle. The ninja. They were fighting...something. Pirates? I couldn't tell.

-

The memories stung my mind. A waterfall of tears fell from my eyes. I don't know that to think of this anymore.

I felt a pair of strong arms wrap aroud my waist. I gasped as he pulled me closer. Lloyd rested his chin on my shoulder, planting a quick and delicate kiss on my neck. I felt a single tear roll down his cheek and onto my shoulder. This time, I couldn't hold it back. "Then tell the world you love me. Yell it out so everyone can hear it. Even Laura. If you love me, you won't be afraid to tell anyone."

There was a pause before his mouth softly grazed my ear. "I love you, Y/n."

Tears rushed down my face. Was he really that afraid to tell the world he loved me? "Why did you whisper it?" I begged.

"Because, Y/n, you are my world."

I paused. What? Did I mean that much to him?

I placed my hands on his arms, smiling softly to myself.

I shouldn't have depended on them so much. I shouldn't depend on Lloyd so much.

I grasped his hands in mine, and he seemed to fall into me. But I wasn't holding his hands because I was willing to forgive him.

I laced my hands into his and pried his arms off. "Get out."