Chapter Eleven

I Know You - Skylar Grey

It was as if the world tilted when his eyes collided with mine. I gasped as his mouth opened, and a blackness filled his features. An evil, pitch black that crowded his sweet face. His veins became visible, their color turning from a natural green or red to a dark grey.

I gasped, stumbling backwards as a bloodcurdling scream echoed out from his mouth. A cloud of black swirled around in his eyes, covering his green irises.

It wasn't too long until his mouth shut and the scream stopped. But the shaking didn't. The Bounty tipped from one side to the other, his eyes remained as black as night.

What was happening? What were those black figures? What did they do to him? I couldn't do anything but scream. I shut my eyes and just screamed.  Maybe that would make everything go away.

<><><>

I lurched up from my bed and slapped a hand over my mouth, racing for the bathroom and vomiting into the toilet. I leaned over the seat, letting my guts spill out along with everything I'd eaten earlier on today.

Nya raced from my room to the bathroom, her hand rubbing my back as I lurched forwards and threw up more. "Y/n! Calm down, calm down," she soothed.

I panted over the toilet seat, picking my head up and slumping against it. Nya flushed the water down, sitting cross-legged beside me.

"Hey, you alright?" She asked, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I sighed and massaged my temples. "I had the craziest dream. Lloyd was, like, possessed or something."

"Y/n," she began, "that wasn't a dream. Lloyd doesn't know what happened. He's in his room."

My eyes grew big. "What? What happened?"

Nya bit her lip. "Come here," she pulled me up and we wandered over to the deck, the wood planks hot in the sticky heat.

Then I realized it wasn't the heat from the sun that made the planks so hot, it was what Lloyd did to the bounty. The planks were burnt to a crispy black, and it felt like they crumbled under my feet.

"We realized that we've encountered these creatures before." Nya explained. "They're extremely powerful, and I know this sounds like some super weird shit, but they aren't from this world. We know that for a fact. We think that they might've escaped from the Cursed Realm when it opened after Morro tried taking over the world."

"Morro?" I asked.

"A ghost."

My lips parted as an idea popped into my head. "Are you able to go to the library?"

"What?"

"Like, right now?"

<><><>

We arrived at the library, utter silence surrounding us. "Why are we here?" Nya asked, looking around as I dragged her through the aisles.

"Here," I said, going into aisle seven. "Letter C...," I dragged my fingers across the spines of the ancient books before coming across one that hadn't been touched in ages. "I used to check this book out all the time. I thought it was so fascinating." I flipped the heavy weight around in my hands, holding the cover towards Nya. 

"Creatures of the Cursed Realm?"  She read. "Sounds like some shitty fantasy book for nine-year-olds." 

"I was nine when I used to check this out."

"Oh...okay then. Well, what's so important about this book?"

I took her hand and we sat down at a table. I slammed the heavy book down and flipped it open. I somehow remebered exactly what page it was on. 287.

"I really liked this book because it reminded me that there was more out there, and that maybe I could be a hero and find one of these creatures," I explained, flipping through the pages until I found the one I was looking for.

"They're called Vanishers. Because they only come out at night, and they always seem to disappear right when you thought you caught one," I explained as best as I could. I pointed to a picture of one. "They're the souls that have been trapped in the Cursed Realm for eons and are the most desperate to be out of there. Their form was their way of adapting to the Cursed Realm's harsh ways...and stuff."

"So, why the stingers?"

"If they ever escaped from the Cursed Realm, they go out and seek a human. They have to be compatible with the human, of course, otherwise shit would go down. When they find a human that is compatible, they sting them, and that little piece of DNA the Vanisher has gained bonds them too the human, and they gradually begin to be able to communicate through their minds. That's when the Vanisher starts to take them over and their soul gets replaced by the Vanisher's lost one."

"Complicated shit," Nya stated a bit too bluntly.

We both suddenly looked up at each other. "Oh shit!" We yelled. I raced out of the library with the book under my arm without a second thought. We ran to the Bounty as fast as we could.

When we arrived, we were panting and gasping for air. "Where's Lloyd?" I yelped, finally standing upright.

Zane stretched his hands above his head, "In his room-"

I shoved past him, dashing towards Lloyd's room, Nya not far behind me. I busted open his bedroom door. My eyes zipped around for the blonde-haired boy.

He was sitting on his bed-

Meditating?

"Lloyd?" I asked.

He lifted an eyelid to look for where my voice was coming from. "Hey," he breathed, not a hint of evil inside of him.

"Are you okay?" Nya managed to gasp out.

"I'm doing good," he replied, slipping off of his bed and making his way towards us. "I'm actually doing and feeling much better," he chuckled and made his way past us.

I tilted my head as he stretched out in the afternoon sun, as if nothing ever happened. As if the demon lurking inside of him was never there in the first place.

Maybe it wasn't so bad, maybe he actually was better. I couldn't be sure, though. Although Lloyd was still himself right now, I could never, ever be too cautious around him anymore.