Flashback: Gifted

Mark's POV-Age: 8

"Hi, Dad!" I exclaim, looking up from my homework that only consists of some simple multiplication as he walks through the doorway, after a long day of work. He's usually quite tired, his hair messy, his voice a little bit raspy, but today, he looks energized. I can't quite tell if its a good or bad expression gracing his face, but nevertheless, he doesn't look tired and there's a sense of urgency in his expression.

"Hi, Mark. How was school today?" he asks, leaning down to kiss me on the forehead, though I cringe and try to pull away. Setting down his briefcase by the kitchen table, he pours himself a glass of water and starts talking, "Have you taken a shower yet?"

"Yes, school was good, and yes, I took a shower, but why?" I question curiously. It's not normal for him to ask if I've taken a shower, so I give my father a confused look.

"Your school called, and we all have to meet with the principal. We'll be leaving once your mother gets home from work," he explains. That explains why he wasn't tired when coming home. He must've been shocked when he got the news.

But why do we have to go to the principal? I haven't done anything wrong, except maybe tackling Haechan during recess, because all of the grades have recess at the same time. I was teaching him how to play American football, even though I'm not American, but I think I should get a pass for that. I gulp nervously, tapping the table with my free hand, trying to focus back on the easy work in front of me. Realistically, it should only take a couple of minutes to finish the worksheet because math is easy for me, but with a heavy, anxious heart, it takes much longer, as I get sidetracked by my own feelings.

Soon enough, Mom comes home, looking anxious as she's chewing her lip. She hurries me along, tying one of my shoes as I tie the other.

"We may be a little late, Matt. We're not getting off to a good start," my mother whispers to my father as we get in the car, buckling our seatbelts. She pulls down the front seat mirror quickly, reapplying her lipstick as she looks back at me through the reflective surface, "Don't be worried, Mark. You're the best child anyone could ask for; you're so kind, smart, caring, and fun. I doubt that they have to talk about anything bad."

The car ride is silent, and as we park at the school, which is deserted for the day, with the exception of a few teachers. My parents hold my hands, as we turn into the administrator's offices.

"Hi there," Dad greets the secretary, "We're here to see Principal Bae. He requested for us to be here now."

"Of course. You must be the Lee family. Go on in," she answers, smiling curtly. My stomach drops six stories deeper than it has already, as I hold my parents' hands tightly, my hands sweating from the stress.

There he is, sitting there expectantly. I'm not scared of Principal Bae in any way, as he's usually quite nice, yet appropriately strict, but this meeting was announced so abruptly and unexpectedly. He's smiling, the slight aging on his face manifesting in crow's feet at the sides of his eyes, and small laugh lines.

He stands up, walking around his desk to greet us. We bow, as does he, as he says, "I'm glad you all could come today. Please make yourselves comfortable," we sit down in the seats across from his, mine with an extra cushion to boost me up a little higher, "Don't worry, Mark. You look terrified. It's only good news, I promise."

A little weight is taken off me, but there's still some nervousness left. What could he need to tell me? I'm an average student, and I blend in with the other kids in my grade. Maybe he's going to try to find me some close friends in my grade. I get along with the kids in my grade, but all of my best friends are younger than me. Maybe Principal Bae thinks that I'm lonely, but I'm definitely not. Haechan, Jeno, Jaemin, Renjun, Chenle, and Jisung, are all more than enough for me to handle.