Two Years In: Haechan & Jeno

*Please go back and reread the last chapter if you haven't already. Slight changes have been made to Jeno's story*

~

Lee Haechan

~

"Lee Jeno, you better give me a hug this fucking moment or else I'm going to throw you into this damn river," I choke out loudly through my fervent sobs, marching up to my best friend who I haven't seen in a solid year, as tears flow down my sun-kissed cheeks. Jeno's smiling brightly, laughing at me with his crescent-moon eyes and open mouth, cooing at my emotional display of happiness. Nevertheless, he knows I'm not joking with my "threatening" words, and I will most definitely throw him into the Han River if he doesn't embrace me, so he does as I ask. Throwing his arms around my torso and pulling me to his comforting embrace, I thread my arms around his neck, burying myself into his embrace, tucking my head into his shoulder, breathing in his familiar scent of fresh pine body wash.

"There, there, Haechannie," Jeno lulls with his tranquil, deep tone, no longer giggling at me, but instead comforting me and giving me the luxury of safety and solace in his embrace to calm me at an emotional moment like this. "Don't cry, come on, Haechan. I'm back. I'm so sorry I couldn't see you sooner, peaches. I really am," he whispers softly, being especially affectionate with me because he knows I need it now.

The sun is setting over the horizon, and the pastel blue of the sky begins to blend into piercing oranges and vibrant pinks. It's a beautiful scene that sets a sentimental tone, and it certainly isn't calming me in my hyper-emotional state. I try to cease the sobs by breathing in-and-out to Jeno's rhythm, the slightly taller boy rubbing my back comfortingly looking outwards into the swaying current of the river. It's been too long, way too long, and after we graduated just a year ago, I figured Jeno wouldn't mature or change anymore as if it was static, but good hell, I was wrong.

Somehow, just being away from home for a year has seemed to cast a character progression over my best friend. Physically, he doesn't look too much different. He's just groomed a little nicer, and it's obvious his strenuous dance training has given him an even stronger, more defined figure, but his energy... is just different. Jeno's usually quite timid and awkward, even around me and the other boys at times, but the moment I laid eyes on him, he just radiated intense confidence and a stronger sense of self than I've seen from him before.

"I know, Jeno... It's just that it's so hard to not be able to see my best friend for a whole year. I'm already missing Markie too much, and though I've been busy with my own things--fuck--it's just so hard to not have all of you by me. I've been so damn lonely," I take a deep breath, collecting my thoughts, and continue, "At least I've been at some peace knowing that you've been working so hard, and I'm so proud. You have so much to update me on, Jeno... God, I just can't believe it's been a whole year since you left, and two years since Mark left."

Jeno chuckles nostalgically, shaking his head in disbelief of the last two whirlwinds of a year, as I continue to clutch onto his warm body so tightly that it seems like we're two lovers that are about to be separated, "Yeah, it is really crazy, Haechannie. I've missed you and the boys too, and I literally just got back to Seoul from dance training a day ago, and you're the first one of the boys that I've been able to see. So many good things have happened in the last year, but I've missed all of you and Seoul so much, so I think I'll most likely start university this coming school year instead of continuing the dance programs. Anyways, you probably have a ton of things to tell me as well."

"Trust me, I do, Jeno," I sigh heavily, moving out of his embrace as we sit down on a bench close by, seeing the entirety of the city and the beautiful, glistening water in front of us, breathing in the cool, dewy air of the waterside. Jeno wraps an arm around my waist, drawing me closer as I rest my head delicately on his shoulder, breathing in his familiar, tender scent that truly reminds me that home is with my true friends. It seems like a romantic moment between the two of us from the outside, but neither of us has to say anything out loud to signal that our actions and emotions are nothing more than platonic, but still filled with love for each other. The friendship that all seven of us is certainly unconventional for most boys, but (with the exception of Lele and Sungie) we just love each other so strongly in a way that only friendship brings.