Flashback: Birthday Wish

Haechan's POV-Age: 9

Balloons floating perkily around the room, colorful parchment streamers lining the halls, mountains of food, shinily wrapped gifts, and a cake patiently waiting to be eaten on the kitchen counter could only mean one thing: my birthday!

I turned nine as soon as the clock hit twelve o'clock earlier today, and I immediately became ecstatic to celebrate it with my friends. Which brings me to now.

Zipping around the house, I keep making sure everything was ready, from the party games to the cone-shaped party hats that I'm going to hand to everyone once they arrive. I already stuck a hat on my head, my hair poking out weirdly as I run to the front door so I'll be there once the first person arrives. Pulling a stepstool to me, I jump on top of it to look through the small, round peephole that shows everything outside of the house. I feel restless, just want everyone to get here now. Everything's just too exciting!

"Mommy, when will they be here?" I whine, looking through the peephole with one eye, my hands pressed up against the door for stability.

"Calm down, Haechannie. They'll be here soon, but they won't any quicker if you keep standing at the front door," she shouts from upstairs, where she's doing some work. I pout, frowning at my mom's words, even though she's right. I'm just impatient, I guess. I can't help the fact that I'm so excited to see my friends.

When they come, I have so much planned for us to do. We can play board games, paint, decorate cookies, play catch, or pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. And of course, I have a few pranks up my sleeve, which is obviously for Mark. He'll be so annoyed, but he loves me too much, so he'll get over it quickly. Mark is by far the easiest target for pranks, so I can always count on him when I'm planning a new, diabolical prank.

But just as soon as I turn my attention away from the door, the doorbell rings, startling me slightly. Blinking back the shock, I look through the small peephole to make sure it's not a stranger, and just as I had hoped, everyone was there, waiting to celebrate with me.

"Mom, Dad, everyone's here! I'm gonna open the door!" I shout to my parents, cupping my hands around my mouth. Twisting the doorknob eagerly, I open the door, revealing my friends, presents in their hands and big smiles on their faces, "Yay! Come on in!"

Everyone waves to their parents, who are in their cars parked on the driveway, before shuffling in and taking off their shoes. Except for poor Jisung; Taemin had to drop him off because his mother is busy with work again.

"Happy birthday, Haechannie!" Renjun exclaims, attempting to pick me up with his stick-like arms, but failing. I just giggle and give him a hug.

"How does it feel to be so old?" Jisung quips, a mischievous smirk on his face.

"It feels great, especially knowing that you still have to respect me, Sungie," I snort, rolling my eyes at the little pest-in-disguise. Sometimes Jisung is a little, huggable angel, and sometimes he's a complete pest. He and Chenle trade roles sometimes, and now seems like one of those times.

"But you told me that I didn't use honorifics," he whines, grabbing onto my shirt dramatically.

"I did tell you that, but because I'm so old according to you, I take that back. You better get used to calling me 'hyung' now, Sungie!"

"Haechan! Why are you doing this to me?"

"I'm just kidding, Jisung. Calm down, you little pest," I joke with Jisung, ruffling his hair affectionately, as he continues to pout at my antics. I can't help the fact I'm annoying, I guess. It's just part of me, but everyone has learned to get used to it.