Flashback: The Way They Are

*Derogatory Language Warning*

If you are uncomfortable with reading derogatory/homophobic language/slurs, I suggest you skip this chapter. I do not condone this language in any way, but it is included in the book to develop the story, not to sanction or ratify the use of these words in any way.

In addition, this chapter contains bullying/violence, so again, please do not read this if it is triggering to you. 

I changed the rating of the book to mature because of the language in this chapter, as it is very, very offensive and derogatory. So again, please be aware that this language does not represent my views as an author, but instead is for the purpose of the story only. 

I struggled with the decision to include these slurs in part of the dialogue, but I felt that if they weren't included, they wouldn't fully illustrate how bad the situations that LGBTQ+ people sometimes have to face in a school environment are, or else I might as well not have had this chapter. In addition, I thought this chapter was crucial to developing Jeno's character.

If anyone has any concerns about this chapter, PLEASE comment on this chapter or send a PM to me.

________________________________________________

Jeno's POV-Age:13

"Hey, Jeno," a coy voice sounds from a few feet behind me. It's certainly not one of my friends; I'd recognize their voice, and it's not a girl's either. I begin to wonder who called my name, but I already have my suspicions. Holding onto my books securely, I gulp back my slight nervousness and turn around to meet the voice that called my name. My eyes widen in fear, and my heart races at a rapid pace. I need to escape.

Shit! I can't deal with this now. Of course of all the times that they have to confront me, I'm alone. Ever since my classmates at school learned that I have two moms, there have been a select few that are constantly on my back, attacking me with their words, and even attacking me physically. It hurts like hell, emotionally and physically, and even though I'm a strong guy and I do a lot of sports, there's no possible way I can fend off three boys at the same time.

Mark and the rest of my friends are well aware of these boys; they've even gotten into altercations with them, but even they don't know that they physically hurt me. But I want to keep it that way so they don't get hurt, as that is my priority. These boys have attacked me quite a few times this school year, always catching me on the way to the metro stop after school or finding me when I'm in the hallways, rushing to class because I'm tardy. But I can never escape. I just have to stand there, accepting every punch and slur thrown at me, slowly chipping away at my dignity.

And there's no fucking way I can tell anybody about it. I'm pretty much trapped. If I tell somebody that these boys bully me, I'll just have it worse with them, and if I don't speak up, I just get harmed more. It's a pointless exercise.

My heart picks up its pace, beating rapidly, as I lift up my head and meet their cold, unforgiving eyes. I never understood how kids could be this ignorant and cruel. It's crazy. I don't even understand what satisfaction they gain of hurting me, or why they even bully me in the first place. Nobody is forcing them to be supportive of my mothers, so I don't understand why they crawl their way into my business and make my existence their problems.

Look, I understand that the majority of the kids at school are homophobic; it's no secret, but the vast majority ignore the fact that I have two mothers and mind their own business, even if they're appalled by the love that my mothers share. And that's the way it should be if they're going to refuse to accept people different than them in the first place.