Imagine #27

You were beaming.

That was clear to everyone in the room, they clapped and they cheered and they looked at you with envy. How could someone dance that beautifully? How could someone pull off such a story just with their facial expression? And how could someone hit such small beats with their body without making it look like they tried? So many questions were weaving through the air of the dance studio. But one thing was for sure.

When you walked off the dance floor with a big, bright, beautiful smile and your bright, red, rosy cheeks, everyone was staring in awe.

When you made it to your bag to grab a water bottle Jojo was calling up her next group and you smiled as you watched them and you felt the beat underneath your feet as it vibrated up your body. "Hey! Earth to Sean!" Julian shouted as he pushed Sean who was staring at you in complete awe. "What? Uh, sorry." Sean said smiling letting his dimples show through as he awkwardly scratches the back of his neck. "Dude, just go talk to her. You'll be fine." Josh said encouraging his friend. And Sean wanted to say "yeah? What could go wrong?" But he was so nervous. He had never seen someone move so fluidly and keep a solid persona at the same time, and the fact that she hit every beat and still made the dance her own, he wondered how he never seen her before. How he never noticed such a beautiful passionate person before.

With the encouragement of his friends he moved towards you and began to speak. "Hi. I'm Sean, and I just wanted to say your dance was really good." You didn't catch everything he said because you weren't looking as his lips, you didn't even notice him for a second because he just came up beside you. You smiled and quickly took out your phone holding up one finger signaling him to wait though he was confused and looked back to Josh and Julian who were just as confused. "Hi. I'm Y/n, I'm deaf. You have to look at me when you speak so I can read your lips." His whole body flushed as he read the words on your phone. "Oh, uh, I'm-I'm sorry, I didn't realize." He said holding the back of his neck as his face scrunches up in embarrassment. You silently chuckle and wave a hand showing it was fine. "I just wanted to let you know you did really well out there. You dance beautifully." You smiled as you read his lips and you couldn't help the rose color come back to your cheeks though this time it was from his compliment. 'Thank you' you mouth slowly to him and also do the sign for it out of habit. His smile is whole while he tilts his head and copies the motion"thank you?" He asks hoping he read your lips right since he knew he was bad at it. You smile and nod your head. "I'll see ya around?" Sean asks smiling and you nod with the same smile though deep down you knew that even though you would see each other since you were going to be attending class regularly you wouldn't hang out, it'd just be too complicated.

"So how'd it go?" Josh asks as he takes a drink from his water bottle and zips up His bag ready to go home. "Good. We uh, didn't talk much though." Sean said still slightly embarrassed wandering if he said or did the wrong thing. "Why not? She was smiling, that's normally a good sign, we'll unless she's crazy." Julian said with a small chuckle. "She's deaf and I don't know sign language. I'm not good at reading  lips and I didn't want to make her stand there to read mine and then type out what she wanted to say on her phone. It didn't seem right." Sean said slightly upset as his eyes drift to you and he silently watched you as you throw your bright red bag over your shoulder and silently walk out with a smile on your face. "Wait, how can she dance so well?" Josh asks confused. "Well, the music we play is pretty loud and we can feel it in the floor boards, so maybe she goes off the vibrations?" Sean puts in more of a question than a statement. "Wow, She's even more incredible than before.

Two weeks had past and Sean had yet to see the girl from before yet her name was still fresh in his mind along with her face. Y/n, what a beautiful name for a beautiful person. He'd been taking a few classes to learn ASL and when he had the free time he was looking up videos that taught him certain things he needed to know and some random signs. He would admit he wasn't the best at it but he knew the alphabet and a few needed sentence. He wasn't sure if he wanted to see her now so he could surprise her by knowing some sign language or if he wanted to see her in a few weeks when he knew enough to be able to conversation with her without difficulties.

"Dude she did it again." Julian said from beside of Sean as Y/n walked away from the center of the floor with a smile. This song wasn't as emotional as the last and she kept a smile throughout the whole song and once again hit the small beats that nobody else seemed to pick up, he had to speak to her.

Without saying a word to the others around him he jogged away and to Y/n who was grabbing a hair tie to pull her hair back. He tapped her should and she turned around and gave him a smile, she went to grab her phone so she could type to him but he put his hand on hers to stop her. She looked up at him silently confused but let the phone slip back into her pocket. "My name is Sean." His facial expression showed he was new to the language and he was unsure of what he was saying but the way her face lit up and the way her eyes seemed to be even more beautiful than before, it was worth it. "I like your name." You signed with a smile on your face. The fact that he took the time to learn a separate language just for you made you so happy. You barley knew the dimple cheeked boy in front of you and he was already changing his life for you.

—Two Months Later—

You sat staring at Sean with your head tilted, he was definitely getting better at sign language and you were even teaching him some as well. He had insisted on taking the night off, the both of you, you had been becoming a lot more busy lately because everyone was starting to take notice in you. You weren't sure if this night was meant to be a date or not so you simply enjoyed being able to talk to someone, that wasn't something that came easy for you, heck it barely ever came at all.

"I envy you." You could tell he was speaking out loud as he signed but your eyes stayed on his hands, it was less work, especially in the dark. Which it was since you were at the park.

"What do you mean?" You made sure to sign slowly and you kept your eyes on his hands, you let them slip up to his face to watch him until you noticed slight movement in his hands again. "I wish I could just tune out the world. I feel like some times that's all I need. Some real peace and quiet." You smiled at his words and part of it was true. You could never image a world where you couldn't just zone out, but then again you wanted to imagine a world where you could hear Sean's laugh.

"It is peaceful. And I don't think I could live without being able to really zone out and think, but I wish I could hear your voice." You could see his face change for a second and you looked up with a smile and you notice he's wearing one too. "I wish I could hear your laugh." What you were signing was true, he had a beautiful smile and such kind words, you just wish you could hear it. Yet in your own way, you did.

"Me too." You smiled and that was the day you decided to take speech therapy. You were going to learn to speak, it would take a while, it may be hard, and it may never be perfect. But if Sean could learn a whole new language for you, you could learn to speak for him.

~~~Authors Note~~~
Not requested.

I thought this was really sweet, I kind of came up with this out of the blue but since I'm learning sign language I thought it'd be cool to make a chapter dedicated to it. I hope you liked it!

{1.6.18}