chapter 2: stalker

"I think I've got everything I need," I tell Riker, who's oblivious to what's happening.

I force myself to look away from Felix as I turn my camera off and tuck a fallen piece of hair behind my ear, rubbing my index finger over the 'x' and 'o' studs in my ear to avoid meeting his eyes again. In nervous habit, I move my fingers over the exposed part of my collar and run my thumb over the small silver bird pendant sewn into the chain around my neck.

"Yeah?" He asks and I nod as he walks us over to the staircase again, allowing me to climb down from his shoulders. "I'm gonna go catch up with Lena. I'll see you at home later?"

"Yeah," I bob my head and smile. "Thanks for your help, Rik."

"No problem," he nudges my shoulder before heading towards the football field to find the fiery redhead he calls his girlfriend.

I stand watching them for a second longer as I secure the lens cap to the front of my camera and move the strap from around my neck to my shoulder before heading for the corridor leading back into the school. As I walk, I pull my phone out of my pocket and search through my messages to find my group text  with the girls.

Usually, I wait to find them and say goodbye in person before heading home, but today is different. I feel off with the whole mess of my parents' separation becoming public and the weird feeling left in my stomach after running into Felix.

Besides that, as I scroll through my messages I get a notification from the photo lab that my prints are ready for pick up. Coming to a stop in front of my locker, I start typing my message out to Isla and Robyn.

Stevie:
going home, babes

Robyn:
BOO!
I thought you were coming out with us after?

Isla:
Yeah! What the hell?

Stevie:
photos are in...sorrrry!
i'll see you both later

Isla:
You suck

Stevie:
love you too

A small laugh falls from my lips as I tuck my phone back into my pocket and open my locker up. I carefully tuck my camera into its bag and sling the strap over my shoulder before picking my car keys out of the front pocket of my backpack and heading for the front door.

My head is up in the clouds as I make my way down the front steps and head for the student lot, looking from car to car before landing on my sleek navy blue SUV. My dad got it for me when I turned the ripe age of sixteen and got my license. I've been obsessing over this car since I was thirteen and nearly bursted into tears when he pulled me outside the morning of my birthday to reveal the present with a big red bow on top.

Fumbling, I search my key ring for the right key to unlock the driver door when they slip from my fingers and tumble onto the pavement. A sigh leaves my lips as I bend down to pick them up, my fingers briefly brushing them when someone else picks them up for me.

"You always this clumsy?"

"You always follow people?" I question when I raise my eyes to meet Felix's eyes, extending my hand out for the keys he's holding hostage.

He grins and points to the black Jeep next to us. "I happened to be parked next to you."

"You're still a stalker." I extend my hand out. "Can I have my keys, please?"

"How about a key a question?"

"How about no?" I hum and step closer to him, prying the keys from his hands. "Goodbye, Felix."