chapter 35: six hours

Our cry for help seems to have done the trick with our parents because by the time Monday morning rolls around, my mom is on the phone setting up an appointment for couples counselling. The two of them finally ready to put the work into saving their marriage. The problem with my parents is that they're both extremely stubborn. Both of them went off the paths their families set up for them, and a small part of me knows that's the reason they're scared to admit they need help.

They're scared of admitting they're failing, because for so long they had to prove they made the right decision. It started in their career paths, but along the way it turned into a problem in relationships too. My mom having been in a terrible relationship before she met my dad, and my dad lacked commitment before her.

But they're finally giving themselves a real shot.

"I still can't believe Greyson's a song writer," Isaac shakes his head as he climbs out of my car. "I wonder how his meeting went with William. Do you think he's back yet?"

"I think so," I say as I point to his car. "His car's here at least."

"You were really amazing on Friday, Vee," he smiles softly. "I had no idea you had a voice like that."

"Thanks," I nudge him. "I think it's just because the song was so personal to all of us. Grey didn't even know he was writing a song until I started singing the words."

"You may quite the duo," he chuckles. "You still think you don't want to be a musician?"

"Absolutely not," I shake my head. "I felt like vomiting after performing on Friday. Never again will I put myself through that."

Before he has a chance to tease me about my stage fright, Riker comes tumbling out of his car with a big rectangular package in his hand. He doesn't have to say anything because his face says it all, his excitement written all over him.

"It's here! It's here!" He says as he runs over to us, holding up the package.

"What is?" I ask, but my eyes go to the printed label on the corner of the manila envelope. "Your Stanford acceptance!"

He nods, "Big is good, right?"

"It's a safe bet," Isaac laughs. "Well, go on. Open it."

Riker nods, setting his phone and keys down on the steps of our house before tearing into the package and pulling out a sheet. "Dear Riker Alexander," he reads before falling silent and reading over. "I'm in! I got in! Holy shit. I'm going to Stanford University."

"Riker! That's amazing," I grin at him and wrap my arms around him, squeezing him tightly when he lifts me up in a tight embrace. "I'm so proud of you."

"I can hardly believe it," he exhales and sets me down.

Isaac moves forward to hug him. "I'm proud of you, man. I guess now's a good time to let you know I got my acceptance to Rhode Island's School of Design last week."

"No way!" Riker says. "We're doing this."

"I guess so," he nods before looking at me. "What are you going to do without us around, Vee?"

I shrug, "I'll miss you but I mean, I could use a break."

"Funny," Riker nudges me. "You love us too much to be annoyed with us."

"You keep thinking that," I stick my tongue out. "Besides, I'll have the girls around still. And Felix."

"Felix isn't going to university?" Isaac's asks and then it dawns on me that we never really talked about what his plan is for after school.