chapter 34: white roses

"Holy shit!" Robyn swears, hanging onto my arm as she jumps down from the stone step in my backyard when she spots her celebrity crush. "Is that who I think it is?"

"Yes, he's friends with my dad," I tell her, while laughing at her reaction.

It's the night of my dad's label party in celebration of twenty years with them, and our backyard is currently cluttered with Hollywood executives and celebrities. All here to party with Rock Salt and their years of success. Nights like these when I'm able to bring my friends along for the journey are by far my favourite.

Growing up with constant exposure to the rich and famous, has made my life a little louder than my friends. Getting to watch them freak out over someone they love is a small joy I get to experience every once in a while. Robyn, specifically hilarious to watch because my calm, cool and collected best friend completely unravels in the presence of celebrities.

"You have the best life," she shakes her head. "I love this. I love you for inviting me."

"You're welcome," I laugh.

"Oh my gosh, look who Greyson's talking to!" She squeals.

I turn my attention to my brother and shake my head at Robyn, finding him with her favourite singer. "Go, go. He'll introduce you."

"God, I love being your friend," she grins widely and runs off to be introduced but quickly makes a detour back to me. "Not to say I wouldn't be your friend if you weren't related to Luke Alexander."

"Yes, I know!" I giggle, and swat at her to go.

As she scurries off, I take a quick survey of the backyard and instantly spot the rest of my family. Riker with Lena talking to our Uncle Caleb and the lead guitarist of the band. Isaac and Mika are off in space, dancing to their own rhythm while my dad talks to the record executive that recruited them in New York.

"Hey Nicks," Felix's voice fills my ears as he slips up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Sorry, I'm late."

"It's okay," I smile and turn around in his arms, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. "You're here now."

He kisses me quickly before looking around the yard. "This is quite the party."

"Yeah, we've had quite a few of them but this is a big one," I tell him. "My dad's been with his label for over twenty years. It took them a while, but he was right about going back to my mom all those years ago."

He nods, "That's a pretty big accomplishment."

"I'm really proud of him."

He smiles in my direction when the door to the house opens and I spot the vision of black hair stepping outside, followed by a tall lengthy man and a squeal instantly leaves my mouth. Overwhelmed with excitement.

"Aunt Maggie!"

"Stevie!" She grins and opens her arms as I run to embrace her. As soon as I wrap my arms around her I feel three more sets wrap around us. "Hi guys," she laughs. "I take it you've missed me."

"It's been way too long," Riker says and I unravel myself from their arms to hug Zane.

"Hi uncle Zane," I say as I wrap my arms around him. "I missed you too."

"We did too," he chuckles as he reaches out to shake hands with my brothers, each of them having a special handshake. "You'll need to come see us in New York soon."

"Yes, please!" I nod eagerly. "I miss our summers in New York. How is Emmy?"

"Emmy is good! She's actually found a job in Brooklyn for a start-up company."