chapter 32: in case you forget

My phone goes off as I pull up in front of Felix's house, pulling the gear shift into park after coming to a complete stop. I reach for the device in the cup holder at the same time as I pull the visor down, popping the cover for the mirror up. Sliding the arrow across the screen, I bring it up to my ear and hold it between my ear and shoulder as I look over my hair and make-up.

"Hello?" I ask, not bother to check the caller I.D.

"Are you there?" Robyn asks on the other end and I have to keep myself from rolling my eyes, knowing full well she's checking in on my clothes.

"I'm sitting outside his house," I tell her as I move the phone away from my face, switching it to speaker to sit on the dashboard before fixing my high ponytail of beach waves. "Just pulled up."

"And you're wearing?" She hums out the question.

A small groan falls from my lips as I shut the visor, pressing tighter into my leather seats. "Robby, does it really matter?"

"Yes! You're about to meet his family," she argues and I know she'll only continue to pester me if I don't talk. "Tell me down to the last detail."

"You're incredible annoying," I laugh as I open the door, curling my keys in the palm of my hand and jump out. "Do you remember that black dress I bought a few months ago? With the knotted front, and the monotone pink flowers with the tiny green leaves?"

"Oh my gosh, yes," she squeals. "That's super cute. Shoes?"

"Strappy powder pink heels I borrowed from my mom," I tell her. "My make-up is light and my hair's in a high ponytail. Do you need anything else, m'lady?"

"Ha-ha," she teases. "Have fun. Call me later."

"I will," I hum happily. "I love you."

"Love you," she says before ending the call.

I lock my phone as I step up to the front door, raising my hand to knock on the wood before stopping myself and reaching for the doorbell. It only takes a few seconds for the door to swing open, and when it does, I don't find Felix in his usually button down and jeans but in a pair of basketball shorts and old tee shirt that looks like it's been living on his bedroom floor for weeks.

"Hi baby! Happy birthday..." I trail off, raising an eyebrow. "I'm not early, am I?"

He shakes his head, "I'm sorry, Nicks. I should have called. Dinner's off."

"Why?" I frown as he ushers me to come inside.

"Doesn't matter," he shakes his head, and rests his hand on my waist to pull me forward. "This is much better. You look amazing."

"I was trying to make a good impression," I pout, resting my hands on his shoulders. "Felix, what happened? Where's your family?"

"Ah, you know, the usual," he chuckles coldly. "One mom's stuck in New York, the other is buried in work and apparently my sisters couldn't be bothered."

"They aren't coming at all?" I ask.

He shakes his head and guides me into the living room. "I like this dress."

"Good," I smile softly. "Consider it your birthday present."

"Best birthday present ever," he grins and presses his lips to mine. "You know, I much rather just spend tonight with you. Being my favourite person and all."

"Favorite person, huh?"

He bobs his head as he plops down on the couch, pulling me down into his lap. "Absolute favourite. You are everything, Nicks."