Chapter 26 "From an Enemy to a Friend"

"Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear the path."

Eleanor was hardly an early bird however for once she woke up earlier than the commander sleeping next to her

Eleanor was hardly an early bird however for once she woke up earlier than the commander sleeping next to her. His face was buried in her neck. His breathing tickling her. One hand laid on her waist keeping her as close as possible and the other hidden under the blankets. How many more mornings like these does she have left? How many more times will she feel his lips on hers? His hands keeping her close almost scared that once he will let go she will be gone. Eli looked up at the ceiling trying to keep herself calm. Never in her life did she thought about her future. Not with a man that she loves, not about their little children or a beautiful house in the woods. Eleanor never wanted a future like this, however, right now that's the only future she craves for. Calm and steady without a need to worry about the destruction of the world.

Slowly she turned around towards the commander watching him closely. Not a single emotion is showing on his features. Only calm and relaxed expression. "Are you watching me sleep?" his deep voice startled her a little. He didn't open his eyes.

-No." She answered shortly after. however, she wasnt quick enough to close her eyes once his opened. 

-I like it." he murmured closing his eyes again. Eli's brows furrowed. 

-Like what?"

-That you're watching while I sleep." his grip on her waist tightened as he slowly pulled her closer to him.  She smiled placing her leg on top of his hip slowly pushing him onto his back and sitting on the top. A smile never leaving her lips. She lowered her head kissing down his neck and finally his collarbone. Something he enjoyed, she noticed. However, once she slightly bit his skin Cullen grabbed onto her waist keeping her close and sat up kissing her hard on her lips while she sat on top of his lap. It didn't take long until Eleanor pushed him back to the bed and smiled widely at his surprised face.

-I'm going to get us some food!" she exclaimed jumping off the bed and heading towards the stairs.

-Not dressed like that!" Cullen ran after her grabbing his long shirt and dragging it on her body. it was so big that it nearly touched her knees. "Get me something sweet, love." he pecked her lips and fell back to the bed. It was strange seeing him so relaxed and calm, he wasnt the type to rest before the work is done. Especially now. However, it made her happy seeing him like this. 

///////////////////////////////////////

The breakfast was already made in the kitchens once Eleanor entered. The maids blushed at their leader's outfit, mainly because she wore nothing but a long shirt and that was extremely strange. Eleanor always wore elegant outfits inside and out the castle walls. Making her appear more like a leader than a common soldier. However even she sometimes would get tired from the expectations the other people have of her.  "Good morning ladies. I came to steal some food." Eli grabbed a big plate and started filling it with everything eatable from the table. Can't let the commander starve.  She smiled to herself.

-Maker's breath, what are you wearing?!" Eli rolled her eyes at her mother's voice. She hoped to get some food unnoticed but it seems you can't sneak past everyone in this castle.  

-Good morning to you too, mother." she turned around to the two women standing at the entrance. Her mother seemed to become good friends with Laelia, the |Grey Warden. They both seemed to enjoy similar things, apart from fighting. Eli's mother didn't even know how to hold a dagger properly. Not to talk about the kitchen knife. "And... Laelia." Eleanor was about to walk out of the room when she felt a hand keeping her from moving any further. 

-Could we perhaps talk, Inquisitor?" Laelia's sweet voice forced Eli's brows to furrow. She slowly turned around a fake smile playing on her lips. "Alone."

-Of course, lady Amell."

Amell knew that the Inquisitor wasn't very fond of her that is precisely why she wanted to break some ice between them. The two sat in the chairs next to the fireplace that Varric liked so much. He was probably still asleep therefor it was a nice place for a chat. The morning was still young and no spying eyes were bothering the two. 

-First of all, I wanted to make clear that there wasn't and won't be anything between me and the commander." Eli choked on the snacks she was eating once Laelia started the conversation. She slowly regained her composure and looked back at the warden. 

-And you telling me this because...?" Eli asked still watching the woman in front of her. She, of course, wanted to hear these words from her all along however this caught her by surprise. 

-I see the way you look at me. Don't get me wrong I like Cullen but not in that way. He was always kind to me back at the circle and seeing him after all these years was refreshing."She stopped for a moment looking at the inquisitor who just continued with her snacks. "Cullen loves you and it's quite obvious, you are lucky." she smiled sweetly at Eli. For once Inquisitor managed to smile back to her and this once it wasn't a mask. It was a real and kind smile. Perhaps the two could get along quite well. 

-Thank you, Amell. And forgive me for my coldness. I tend to have everything that I want only for myself." Laelia laughed at that shaking her head slightly.  "And now that this is out of the mind I always wanted to ask about the King." Eli turned her chair toward the warden. "I've heard so many stories about you and the King. About how you joined the Wardens, the fight against the Darkspawn. And of course the sacrifice you were supposed to make."

-Not many know about that. Yes, I was supposed to die once I killed the Archdemon, however, Alistair saved me. So did Morrigan." Laelia looked down to the fireplace, clearly uncomfortable with the conversation. "She performed a... ritual. A child. Hers and Alistair's. She said that if a child would be conceived by her and Alistair that child would somehow absorb the essence and thus no Grey Warden would need to die. At the time I was lost actually. I knew that I will have to sacrifice myself for the people and I didn't want for our new King to die so soon. Mainly because I loved him, more than anything. Alistair was like an anchor of sorts. He kept me from drowning in despair and stress. I lost my family in circle, friends and life and he made me feel safe and cared for again. We fell in love and once he became the King he... left me." Eli watched the warden closely seeing the pain in her eyes. She knew her pain. A loved one has once left her too. "He said that it was his duty to have a child. An heir to the throne and I can't give birth to children. No warden can.  It destroyed me. I didn't want to live, not without him and therefore I decided to sacrifice myself. That's what I told Morrigan, that I don't want to live, not without him. But that bitch told everything to Alistair and they... you understand what happened shortly after." She raised her eyes back to the Inquisitor and smiled sadly. "I killed the Archdemon and left Denerim without ever talking to him. As far as I know, he married Anora. Since then I learned not to trust the wrong people. I accepted her the way she was even though none of my companions wanted her there, and that's how she repaid me."

-I am sorry, I know that it's hard to talk about things like this, however, I'm glad I didn't scare you off." Eleanor smiled placing one of her hands on warden's shoulder.

-It is quite fine, its the past after all. And therefore I want you to know that I'm not going to get in a way between you and Cullen, all I want is to help you."

-Thank you, Laelia. Your help is always welcome here."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Author's note: 

Ok ok, this took me a while but here it is. The update. I will upload another chapter soon. Just need to finish it up.😅😅😅

I hope you enjoyed and if you did I wouldn't mind a comment or your vote❤❤❤