Chapter 4

He couldn't believe it.

He smelt his mate.

His mate!

His heart was beating erratically and he swore he and anyone close would be able hear it. His bear was growling inside, demanding he finds them their mate.

Without wasting a moment he follows the intoxicating smell that is his mate, the scent of lavender and honey leading his way. He couldn't wait to see and hopefully hold her. He knew no matter what he would grow to love her, she was destined to be with him.

Walking down a side street than another, he followed the scent till it led him to one of the town's small motels, that was run by humans.

His mate shouldn't be staying in there. She deserves more than that, he thought. And he will be the one to give her everything. He will bring her home and show her how he can care for her. Be the best mate ever, that she will never want to leave him. His bear completely agreed with him.

He notices a small red voltswagon, that had rust around the wheels and the frame, the paint chipping off in many different spots. He could tell the car was old and he was amazed the thing worked. He will have to help his mate, it was not a safe car for her.

The amazing smell was coming from the car, but it was faint, just a lingering smell that he knew was hours old, so he knew she was not inside it.

He stood there thinking, wondering if he should just find her door and see her right away. But then he thought that might scare her out and he didn't want to scare his mate off. He knew she wasn't a bear shifter, she was human. But he didn't care, she could be any shifter and he would still love her.

Growling lowly, he turns around to walk back, even though it phyically pained him too. He didn't want to scare his mate, and even though it kills him he can't see his mate, he thought this was the best for now.

He was sure he could wait a bit longer even though his bear disagreed with him. He wanted to go up to his mate and pull her into his arms and never let her go. But the time would come soon.

Shaking his head he tries to get himself under control. Finally making it to the diner,he goes instead and sees everyone turning to look at him, greeting him as he walks by them going to his table and he nods back to everyone.

The waitress, Sarah, who happens to be human and mated to one of the bears in his clan, comes up to him.

"Afternoon Sheriff, the usual today?," she asks with a friendly smile. So he was a simple person, usually eating the same thing when he went out.

"Please," he says trying to not sound rude or grumpy. Even though she knew he was a shifter, as she is mated to one, she has only been mated for a few months and wasn't use to the grunting man he was. She was a nice girl, fair skin with firey red hair and freckles dusted across her nose, making her look even more dainty. She was even short than Lilly, reaching an inch or so over 5 feet.

"Fish and chips, coming right up!" she says in a chirpy tone, as she sees her mate walking in the door.

"Beta," the male said as he grabs his mate and pulls her away.

He couldn't wait till he himself could hold his mate. It was something he has been longing to do. Just to wrap her in his arms and hold her, never letting her go.

He was enjoying his lunch, thinking about his and what she was like. If they shared the same interest. If she was like him more quiet or if she was a talkative one, when he heard the growling of a few bears and his phone dinged notifiying him of a message.

River Road South.

Fox sighted.

Jumping from his seat, he tossing a couple bills on the table before quickly walking outside. River Road ended at a dead end as it hit the forest, which than lead to his clan. Getting back to the station he gets in his truck and speeds to the location his clan leader sent him, keeping an eye open for anyone he doesn't recognize or any fox scents.

Stopping the truck, he jumps out and meets up with his clan leader, Derek.

Derek was like a brother to Axel. They were the same age of 26 and the same height. But Axel was a bit bigger with his built form, but it didn't make Derek weaker, he was a stronger leader as one should be.

The man had black hair that was buzz cut, and his eyes were glowing a silvery-blue color of his bear, because he knew shifters were around the clan. He was more of a clean cut kind of guy.

"Axel, take the North and I'll take the South. Do not shift till you are farther out, I don't want us spotted In case any humans are around. See if you can find where or what the foxes are doing. They can't be that far, their scent is still strong," Derek tell him, his tone serious with authority, a hint of anger was noticed also.

Of course he would be anger, no foxes dare come near bears and all of a sudden they were around and the Leader wasn't about to allow anything to happen to his clan.

Nodding to his leader, Axel runs off to see if he can scent this foxes and where they might have gone.