Chapter 24

Weeks have flew by like nothing, the weather was now cold and it was due to snow soon, something Ayliah wasn't a fan of. She couldn't stand the cold, but at least Axels Place was always warm. She was still staying with him, and they had grown accustom being together, they were acting more like a couple each day that passed. They have even started to sleep in the same bed together, like they were now.

A crack in the shades brought in a thin line of the sunlight, hitting Ayliah in the face and she groans before rolling over and cuddling into Axels side, his arms automatically wrapping around her, holding her snug, his body heat warmer her even more. He was still asleep and she knew he would wake up soon, where they would both get ready for work, him at the station and her at the diner with Sarah. She was grateful Sarah was able to get in her, but mostly Sarah was grateful of her as she could have more days off, she had found out she was pregnant and both girls were ecstatic when they found out, jumping around and talking all things with babies.

Ayliah always wanted children of her own, she wasn't just sure when she would be, even time she thought about it she would freak out and she was amazed Sarah wasn't like that, in front she was the opposite, confident in everything to do with babies. She looked over at the clock and noticed the alarm would go off in 5 minutes so she shut it off and tries to get up to start them coffee and breakfast, but like always, Axel seemed to know what she was doing and squeezes her even tighter to him.

"Stay," he growls out, his chest vibrating under her head and like every morning she leans up to place a sweet kiss on lips.

"Good morning," she says watching his eyes slowly open, the dark blue gazing at her intently.

"It always is when your here,"his tone gruff and tired, the same words he has been saying since they started to share the bed. And the same reaction always happening after, she blushes with a shy smile while secretly swooning. Could he be any more perfect.

Since their first date they had gone on more, once each week or so, and each one she loved. From fairs, to teaching her to fish, her request as she wanted to learn for him, to even the movies, he was always a gentleman.

His eyes darken as he takes her in, her hair messy and all over didn't deter her beauty, her skin flush and eyes sparkling, he loved waking up to each morning. He face leans down and his mouth catches hers in a gentle kiss, her lips pressing into his, his body hums with content. He knew he had a few more seconds so he kisses her hard and just like he knew, she jumps out of the bed with a victory smile.

"Now I can make some coffee and breakfast so we can get ready for work, so get your lazy butt up mister," she smirks like she got away from him on her own, yet he just knew what she would do but he didn't say anything enjoying his time with his mate.

"Nope, it's my turn. Now you get your sexy little ass in the shower," his wink and words sending flutters in her body. Her feelings have been growing more for Axel, getting stronger the more they are together. He was unlike any other guy she has met, then again he was a real man. From his jobs, she had found out he also builds wooden homes like his own for some of towns people, to how he acts with her, he was a real gentleman. Each time he did something for her she felt loved and cherished, she loves his caring nature and how he is always wanting to do things that make her happy, but she also wanted to do things he enjoyed, that's why she had asked him to teach her to fish.

Turns out she good at it if she doesn't have to touch the worm or fish, so only the sitting part, but he just thought it was cute and didn't mind doing the dirty work for her. Though he did tease her with a worm, pretending to throw it at her and she almost ended up tipping the boat with them in it. It the end they broke down in laughter before he apologized and hasn't done it since.

What she didn't understand was how he was always holding himself back, the most they have done was kiss and make out, never going any farther than that and she wondered if it was her but he always pushed that thought away, saying he didn't want to rush it, he wanted to take his time with her. Though at times it was hard as she had wanted to push him down many of times to have her way with him, but when she got close to those points he would always pull back, but lately his restraint was slipping and she wondered when he would snap.

They had set off to work with a kiss, Axel promising to see her at work for lunch, and he headed to the station. He was growing worried and he didn't want Ayliah to know. He had looked up her ex and sent a clan member to his place to scope it out and see if he was there, which he was so he was confused. If it wasn't Liam who the fuck was it? He has been suspecting Lilly, her attitude at the beginning had already pissed him off and then how she kept giving Ayliah dirty looks and still does, muttering things before stomping away, he really didn't want to believe it was her, they have been childhood friends always there for one another yet once his mate showed up she has been completely different, and he swears she was acting even more flirty with him.

But now Liam has gone MIA and no one could find him, even if things have been going good, h had a feeling in his gut it wasn't going to last, and that something bad was going to be happening soon. With a few texts he sends a few members from his clan to keep an eye on Ayliah if they see it and see if anyone has been lurking around her.

Another thing he has been feeling bad about was Jarred. Jarred knew some of the basics of what's been happening but not all and not what Axel was thinking. He wasn't sure how his brother would act if he find out Axel suspected his sister, Lilly. And right now he couldn't have Jarred trying to dip into Lilly and mess something up, for now he was going to have to keep it hidden, even if it hurt not to tell him.

With the bad feeling settling again into Axels stomach, his shift was almost done so he gets up to leave the office and go to Ayliah, his fear of something might happen to her ruling him. He wouldn't be able to take it if something happened to her, and with his bad feeling that something was going to happen, he wasn't going to be letting her leave his sight.

With that thought, he sets up everything at work to get sent to his home where he will be working and calls Ayliahs boss to ask for a week, saying she needed some rest, which she does since she was working a lot more and covering most of Sarah's shifts. With everything settled he walks to the diner to grab his mate and head home.

Ahhh it's sad to say we are over half way done :(  the thought of ending this book is heartbreaking. This is my first book I wrote that is actually long and not a short erotic story. I want to thank all of you who have stuck by my side since the beginning, I appreciate it, you are all the best xx
Don't forget to vote and comment if your enjoying the book (:

Things are about to pick up, and get bumpy soon.

There is one thing I do want to ask all my amazing readers, I have recently found out about The Fiction Awards and would to ask you, if you enjoy this book, please nominate Protecting His Mate in the awards under the Paranormal genre. Silent reader or not I would love if each of you who have enjoyed this book to please nominate mine. Each person can nominate it once, and I would love the support from all my readers who have been by my side. If it wasn't for all of you, I wouldn't be at over 11,000 reads (which is fucking amazing) thanks to all of you. You have no idea how much I love seeing you all comment, vote and read my story, it is seriously the best feeling in world and it's all thanks to you.
**The Fiction Awards book is in my reading list under contest/awards if you have not seen it yet**

So if you do enjoy this book please support me and this book and nominate Protecting His Mate in the Fiction Awards under paranormal (:
Thank you! xx