Chapter 14

Ayliah woke up in a freight as she heard a door slam and she let out a small scream. The pictures on her walls rattled and she knew someone was or still in her home.

Her heart was pounding, her palms sweaty as she took long gulps of air, trying to calm herself down, but it wasn't helping as she continued to shake.

She was sitting in bed, frozen and unsure what to do. Get up and look around? Yeah right, that's like being the dumb girl in the horror movie! And she would like to think she was smarter than that.

Her hands shaking as she reaches to grab her phone that was on the small desk beside her bed. She didn't know many people, but Axel had told her that if she needed anything to call him at any time, and he was the sheriff of the town so he would be able to help. Plus deep down inside she knew she trusted him, even if she just met him a few days ago.

She felt bad as she was about to wake him up, but she didn't have any weapons in her room and she wasn't about to walk outside her door incase they were still there and then they could attack her.

She sat there in the dark of her bedroom trying to listen to hear anything, to hear if someone was still in her house, but all she was greeted with was silence. And she wasn't sure if that was good thing either for they could be waiting for her to come out.

Dialling Axels number she grips the phone tight as she holds it against her ear, her fingers feeling ice cold against her cheek, causing her to let out a small gasp.

The phone ringing had woken Axel out of his sleep and all he could think was this better be good. He had just fallen asleep as his bear was restless from being away from their mate.

"Hello," he grunts out, running his hands down his face in exhaustion, not bothering to see who was calling.

"Axel," he heard Ayliahs soft voice on the other end of the line and all the tiredness fell away as he sat up, worried about why she was calling him so late.

"Ayliah, what's wrong?! Are you okay?" He rushes out, jumping from the bed to toss on a shirt and a pair of jeans, emergency or not he was going to go see her. A call this late wouldn't be about nothing.

"I think someone is in my house," she whispered out, fear clearly laced in her voice and his bear roars out and takes all he can to not shift right then and there. He didn't think a big huge grizzly bear showing up at her place would do any good right now.

"What! I'm on my way, tell me what happened," he asked frantic as he tossed his shoes on and grabbed everything he needed before running out and starting the truck, to peel away down the gravel driveway.

The sound of pebbles flicking everywhere as he hit the gas to go faster, the dust and dirt making a big cloud behind him.

"I was sleeping when I heard a loud bang from my bedroom door being slammed shut. I know it was my bedroom, as the pictures on the wall were still shaking. Axel, I don't know if they are still here. I can't hear anything," her tone was panicked with fear, as she tried to remain quiet.

"It's okay baby, just try to stay calm and be quiet, I'm on my way. Just keep me on the phone and stay silent," he tells her. His hearting beating so hard and fast it felt like it was about to burst out of his chest.

He had never felt fear like this before. All he knew was he had to get to his mate and he had to get there now so he can hold and protect her and show that she is safe with him.

He was speeding well over the speeding limit but he didn't care. This was his mate and it was times like now that he wished he didn't live in the forest. His bear was on edge, growling and demanding to be freed to find out who was doing this to their mate and rip them apart.

Who the hell would break into her place?! She had just moved here and only knew a few people. And he knows 100% that he locked her door.

The person must of waited until he left to break in.

That thought alone cause him growl out, his hands partly shifting so his claws came out. Gripping the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were pure white and the claws were digging into the leather, leaving marks. His body tense as he flew down the streets and he tried to calm down his bear but his bear wasn't having it. Someone had threatened and purposely scared his mate, he hit the gas pedal harder as the thoughts came into his head.

They must have a death wish. To go after a bears mate was stupid and dangerous.

Tires squealed on the pavement road as he whipped around corners and ran through stop signs, glad that no one was out at this time.

"Are you close yet," her breath uneven, as her voice echoed in the cab of the truck from putting her on speaker.

"Almost there baby," his voice low and gruff.

He was almost at her place when something caught the corner of his eye. Quickly glancing he notices someone running in the deserted park, on the track. Normally this wouldn't mean anything but it was almost 3am and it was pitch black out, save for the few lights on the side of the road, and no one was usually out at this time.

There was only one light on at the park and the person wasn't near it. The clothing was dark and even though his eye sight was better than most humans, he couldn't see the figure properly to tell if it was a man or women as the clothing they wore was baggy and loose.

Looking back on to the road, he decided he would check the park out later and see if he could scent anyone there.

Slamming the breaks in-front of Ayliahs house, the tires screeched loudly as the rubber slid against the cement, and he jumped out of his truck, shutting the door behind him quickly.

"I'm coming up now. It will be me opening the door, stay in your room until I tell you it's safe," he lets her know before hanging up.

Taking two steps at a time, going up the stairs that was on the side of the house, as her apartment was above the house. He stopped for a moment, inhaling deeply through his nose, trying to scent anything or anyone, that indicates who was here. But he came up empty. No scent of shifters or humans, apart from Ayliah and Sarah's family, that lived below in the main part of the house.

It was as if this person didn't have a scent, and that confused the hell out of him as everyone has a scent.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hello my amazing readers, I just had a quick question to ask you all.
Would you all be interested in seeing this as a Series?

Each would be a stand alone, so it doesn't need to be read in any order. There will be no spoilers or anything. You'll get to see the characters from this book in their own as they each find their mate.

So would you be interested in reading Jarred's (be the 2nd instalment) and Derek's (3rd instalment) books, if I made it into a series?

And maybe even more from characters you'll meet in the future, which will be a lot in the 3rd instalment (Dereks) oh yes I have plans for his too lol.
Let me know what you think (:

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoy the book so far (: