Chapter 12

It was Saturday morning and Axel was getting ready to go to Ayliahs to help her move into her new place, that Sarah let her take over.

He was glad that she took him up on his offer to help her move. She had told him when they had lunch two days ago at the diner, and he offered to help her right away.

The lunch had gone great, the conversation was light but friendly and he got to know her better. What he didn't know was why she had come to Blue Creek. But he did find out she was planning to stay for a month.

When he heard that, it sent him and his bear into a frenzy. He had to take huge calm breathes as his bear was trying to come forth, trying to take over so he could grab Ayliah and whisk her away to their cabin.

His bear was angry knowing she wasn't staying, hurt because he knew she would be leaving. But he finally managed to calm his bear down. Telling him, they had one month to make her fall in love with him and want to stay.

One month was all he had. And he wasn't going to waste a second.

Driving through small town, the stores were starting to open up. The sun was shining hitting the builds and trees, casting the early morning shadows on the sidewalk.

Before going to Ayliahs motel, he pulled up in front of Lilly's. He hadn't had a chance to talk to her yet, so this was the perfect timing. He could grab himself and his mate a coffee before going to see her and talk to Lilly and see what her problem was.

Opening the door, the fresh baked fragrance hit him in the face, making him stomach growl even though he had already ate. The store was warm from the many oven being used to make fresh bake pastries.

"Axel! Good morning! I haven't seen you in a few days. How have you been?" The chirpy voice of Lilly asked. Maybe she didn't think he would notice, but he did. Her voice started as happy and over friendly but then went down a bit when she said she hasn't seen him in a few days.

Maybe she still did have a crush on him? He didn't know why though. He never led her on to believe that he liked her like that.

"Good. My usual, also add Ayliahs on there too. 2 creams and 1 sugar and another blueberry muffin," his voice deep.

Lilly's head turned so fast, when she heard him ask for Ayliahs order. Her eyes twitched and darken at the name of the girl.

Plastering a fake smile, that would hopefully pass as real, she replies with a small "sure."

"So I was talking to my mate," he started and noticed how Lilly's back stiffened at that remark.

"She seemed to get it in her head that she thought we were dating," he chuckles, but this one wasn't a happy one, it was darker one. He didn't need anyone meddling in his life with his mate. "Do you know why that would be?," he asked her, his brow raised as he looked at her when she finally turned around.

Though she looked confused, she wasn't, and he could even see though it.

"No idea why she would think that. I never talked to her except that day," she replied, trying to play aloof.

"Cut the shit Lilly. She told me you gave her a look that told her back off! Why the fuck would you do that?! That's my mate!," his voice raising in anger as he growled out the last part, showing how pissed off he was.

"What! No! Axel, listen to me. You know I would never do anything like that!" Lilly's voice was raising and a bit wobbly, confirming she did do that.

"Do you think I'm stupid," he growled out.

"Okay, okay, I'll admit I did give her a look. But.. but it was more of a 'don't mess around with him' look. I care for you Axel, you're like a brother to me! I knew she was only staying for a while and if she did leave, I didn't want you to get hurt," her voice taking on a caring tone.

"That's not for you to decide! That is my mate, god damnit!"

"I'm sorry, I promise I'll stay out of it."

Grunting, he takes their coffee and food, tossing money on the counter as he growls out "Good," before throwing the door open and leaving the store.

Hopping into his truck, he starts it but sits there for a moment trying to calm down. He didn't want to go see Ayliah when he was still worked up. Axel had a feeling about Lilly and it wasn't good. He just hoped she stay away and keep out of it like she said she would.

Releasing the breath that she was holding, Lilly couldn't believe he went off on her like that. Sure he sees her like a "sister", but he has never gone off on her like that. Even when she used to piss him and her actual brother off as teens, he never once growled or raised his voice at her.

Livid that Ayliah opened her mouth to Axel, she wasn't going to let that slide. She needed a plan and she needed it now.

Just as she thought that, the bells above the door went off and she knew she had a customer, so she took breath to relax. Trying to relax and act like nothing happened.

The instant she breathed in, she smelt the amazing scent of pine cones and grass, none of which belonged in her store.

Which only meant one thing.

Mate.