Welcome To New York

Kongpob's

I huff as I step foot on the last step pulling my bigass luggage with me. Finally, after what feels like millions of years, I have finally arrived on my floor.

I feel like dying.

I curse my luck today, not only I was practically kicked out by my loving parents since quoting my Mae, "You need to learn how to be independent".

The elevator also decides to be useless today when I'm finally moving in.

Just the welcoming day I'm expecting. I only hope the room is good or I'll have to beg my parents to pay for the 'transferring' fee.

I hold the doorknob in my hand and reach out for my key from my pocket but my hand hasn't felt that familiar roughness. I check every pocket I have, I even check my luggage but nada. None. Just none.

Shit.

Then I remember something.

I remember putting it down on the lobby's table. Ugh. Why am I so unfortunate today!?

I groan and slowly walk down to the lobby which is 10 floors from my floor. You can say I eat bad luck for breakfast.

Fortunately, my key's still there, I reach out for it and runs all the way up to my floor. I immediately pull up my luggage bag and unlock my room. I'm about to enter my room when I hear an elevator 'ding'- wait what!?

I look at the elevator beside and there it is with its red light taunting me because it's working. Finally working. 10 minutes ago it wasn't and the maintenance said a day will have to pass for it to be fixed-and now... Damn. Just damn.

But I ignore it. Right now, all I need is to sleep the day off before I review for my calculus exam.

I enter the room and lock the door behind me.

It's an okay room, not an ugly but certainly and definitely not a beautiful one but it's enough for me, for a broke student who is tested by my own parents. Actually no, it's more than enough since I don't have too many things and it's already packed with needed furniture.

I didn't bother to change my clothes and just lay in on the bed. My things can wait but my sleepiness can't.

/

I woke up groaning and removing the kinks from my neck. I stretch my arms and reach out for my phone from my pocket.

It's already 11:25 in the evening. I sleep all throughout the day I must be so tired.

After I unpack my things from my luggage, I check the time again. It's 11:54. Good, just the time for me to review. I pull out my calculus book, notebook, pens, and calculator and sit on the chair by the corner.

Ever since I was young, I've never any problem with studying unlike most people my age. I'm a studious person, you can probably say that. I just love it whenever I learn new things and I'm always up for challenges. I have never had difficulties when studying.

But if there's anything I love while studying is when I have to review for an exam in the middle of the night at exactly 12 midnight, specifically.

All the people around me are asleep. It's just me, my books, the silence, the peace and–

Walkin' through a crowd, the village is aglow
Kaleidoscope of loud heartbeats undercoats

Who the fuck!?

Who the fuck is that? Is that Ariana? Or Adele?

At 12 midnight?!

Damn.

The reasons I accept this from earlier is because I'm so tired and this is the only room near from my school and the only room my money can afford, it's cheap and the landlady informed that although this has paper-thin walls, it would be alright and not disturbing because I have a student as my neighbor but-

I didn't expect that student to be a disc jockey.

The hell? Blasting a loud party song? While I'm reviewing? Really?

And it said
Welcome to New York
It's been waiting for you

Oh shit. It's Taylor Swift. I have heard this song from my sister.

I groan and reach out for pillows from my bed to cover my ears but it's not enough, Taylor Swift's voice is still attacking my ears. What the fuck!

Everybody here was someone else before
And you can want who you want
Boys and boys and girls and girls

Right. I loudly knock my hands on the wall but not enough to break it. I really don't have the money to fix it.

"Will you be quiet!?"

It's a new soundtrack I could dance to this beat, beat forevermore

"I couldn't!"

The lights are so bright but they never blind me, me

"Oh yeah? Well, you make me deaf!"

Welcome to New York (New York!)
It's been waitin' for you
Welcome to New York, welcome to New York

"We're in Thailand!"

Like any great love, it keeps you guessing
Like any real love, it's ever-changing

"I don't care about love!"

Okay. Why am I talking to Taylor Swift? Pah.

Welcome to New York
It's been waitin' for you
Welcome to New York, welcome to New York

"Just shut the fuck up!"

To my annoyance, the annoying person beside me only turns the volume higher and I swear I can hear a voice mixed in with the song literally shouting (not singing) "Welcome to new york asshole!"

This person dares to call me, me, asshole when I haven't done anything to annoy him. He's the one who's wrong here.

But I can't guess if it's a girl or a guy, most likely a girl, the loud song's droning out their voice.

There's no hope to stop them anymore so I just sit down waiting for the song to stop. I know people are like that, wanting to annoy, and if they get no annoying response, they'll stop.

So I wait.

But,

I remember when we broke up, the first time
Saying, this is it, I've had enough.

This, I know. I'm so familiar with it I can sing it even when I'm sleeping. My sister tortured me with this song like I had to listen to it for a month straight when she had broken up with her asshole ex-boyfriend.

Obviously, it's obnoxiously blasted from the dorm beside me.

I grab my book but puts it down, I don't want to make a dent or worse, completely destruct the wall between us. I then grab the pillow and throw it on the wall but it only makes a soft thud.

We are never ever, ever getting back together

Oh shit. It's that song again.

I look at my calculus book and I can only whisper,

"I'm so fucked. Get me out of here."

//