Chapter 21

I have lived for over 600 years. It is my destiny. To wait until the once and future king returns. He returned. But he doesn't remember who he is. Not entirely. Maybe he never will. And there is nothing that I can do to help him. He has to remember all by himself. I can't help him or I will risk losing him again.

I can't let that happen. I will not lose him again. I will protect him with every fiber of my being. The thing is you see, that now I have so many more to protect. I have Molly, I have my daughter and her boyfriend. I have Morgana- I will not let her become evil again. It was my fault last time and I.... it was our downfall. The fact that I tried to poison her that time... that was when everything changed. Or was it when we let the druid boy live? Yes. It was when I disregarded every advice that I've received and I helped Mordred escape.

This time it will be different. I have Morgana under my wing and we are all going to protect her- this time I am not alone. And it appears as the roles have reversed this time. It is a bit odd if you ask me.

Not long ago a woman came into our lives, a woman that I once knew, loved and admired. She was my Queen and Arthurs true love. She was Guinevere Pendragon the Queen of Camelot. Let me tell you. She was the sweetest girl in the kingdom, she was brave, kind, loving and fierce. A true leader. She was my friend. I could have died for her.

There was light all around her. You could have seen it in her eyes.

Now all I can see is darkness. A void. The worst part is that I've never felt this much dark energy around anyone in a long time. And I've seen a lot of bullshit in my life.

But really the thing is... I kind of like my life as it is. I have Arthur, Gwaine is alive and he's going to be a dad- Morgana is the mother of his child. And she has a pure heart. We will soon have Percival. I have a daughter, who is happy, and a beautiful girlfriend. Sure there are a few that are missing from my life. But still... I am happy. 

"Joel? Are you ok?" I hear my friend Arthur asking snapping me out of my day dream

"Yes. Totally. I was just thinking about an old friend" I said without lying.

I got up from the sofa and headed to the door. I grabbed my coat and walked out the door.

It was a rainy afternoon but a little bit of rain never bothered me. It helped me clear my head. I don't have a destination in mind I just like to wonder the streets of this town that once was the home of the mightiest kingdoms in the world. If I close my eyes, I can still remember the setting of the old city. I still remember where children used to throw fruits and vegetables at me every time that Uther punished me for covering for Arthur. Or where I first met Lancelot and we fought the Griffin, or where the forest where I killed Morgana was. I bare those memories with me for all eternity.

I keep on walking with my hoodie on my head and my head bowed down. I am trying to think how to manage the Amber situation but idea seem to have left me. Oh, how I miss my old friend Killgharah.

I think I have wondered for quite some time because I am far away from my home and in one of the many parks here in Winchester. My legs are hurting a bit so I decided to sit on a bench. It wasn't raining here- hm- didn't even notice it. I continued remembering the old dragon and my funny interactions with him and I find myself laughing alone. I take out my lighter and turn it on and make a little dragon out of the flame. Like I did when I was young. I used to do it for Olivia when she was a kid. It was one of the favorite things.

"The same tricks I see, old friend." I hear a voice behind me that I haven't heard in a long time.

I quickly put the lighter away but I am too afraid to turn. Is this a cruel joke? Is someone here? Trying to hurt me, so I cannot be there for Arthur?

"You know who I am?" I say when I finally turn around to face the man standing behind me

OLIVIA'S POV

I am worried. My dad isn't responding to any of my texts or calls. And I can't feel him. He used to do this once in a while when he really missed his friends. He used to wonder around the city where we were, lost in time, remembering the lost ones. But today is just another ordinary day. It's not the anniversary of anyone, not the day when someone died... I don't know. That is why I am worried.

"Arthur? Have you seen Joel lately?" I asked the man who was obsessed with Arrow.

"He was just- what time is it?" He asked very confused

"It's almost 10 pm. How many of these episodes have you watched?" I asked after seeing the dumb- but cute look on his face.

"Ooooh- that means that Merlin left 5 hours ago. He left five episodes ago." He said and even if I was worried, I laughed at his obsession

"I love how you call him Merlin sometimes. Means a lot to him" I said

"It's confusing sometimes. Olivia- you looked worried." He said and he wanted to touch my hand but he stopped.

"I am. He does this sometimes but only on special occasions and today is not one of those." I said

"Look. He may be- "He stopped and his face grimaced in pain

"Arthur? Are you ok?" I asked taking his head into my palms.

He couldn't say anything, but he was in pain. I think he remembered something. I try to get up to bring him some water but he wouldn't let me.

"That little rat!" He said on a tone of voice that I've never heard before

"What?" I asked

"Merlin cheated!" He saw my face and continued "When we first met, I challenged him to a duel- because I was a royal prat and he had offended me- and he cheated." I still looked confused

"Cheated? How? He was a skinny boy." I said smiling

"Exactly. He used magic. That little rat!" He said again and he let me in to see the memory.

Oh my God. They were so young. My dad was so young. Dear God...He was skinny.

"Arthur? Are you ok?" I asked him after he finished remembering.

"Yes. I am. I am happy that I remembered something. Do you think we should go out looking for Merlin?" He asked and I know that he too worries about his friend.

He might not remember all of his true self and the things he did... but what he knows.... Deep down it's that my dad was the best thing that ever happened to him.

"We won't find him. If he doesn't want to be found... we won't. I would know if something happened to him." I said and we continued watching the Kings favorite show.

Hm. There's a thing none of us believed we'd ever say.

AMBER'S POV

It will soon be time to start the plan. Nothing will stop me. I will become what I was destined to be. I will once more be Queen. But he is too protected.

"Don't worry, my love! You will be again the mightiest." My husband said

"I don't worry. I know I will be. We will rule the world. We just have to wait for that kid to come into this world." I said kissing my handsome husband.

He is not one of us. But he knows who I really am and he will do anything to help me.

I just need Morgana's child. He will help me get what I want. Her heart might not be dark, but it will soon be. Once she loses the kid, she will do anything I want in order to get it back.

Once again, she will be the downfall of Arthur Pendragon. Morgana Pendragon and a child will be his downfall.

MERLIN'S POV

"I don't believe this! How long have you been awake? "I ask the man

"6 months." He replied

"Why didn't you come find me? You aren't real. You are some sick version of him... like it was with Julius Borden. I will not let you hurt my family." I said and my eyes turned orange.

"Let me prove it to you, Merlin." He said taking a step back.

I decided to give him a chance. Only one.

"Okay. You only have ONE chance of proving that you are the real Lancelot!"