Running Out

After I was one hundred percent certain that Chase had moved on from bothering me in the hallway I made my way into Alec's office. Loudly to say the least. 

"Do you ever even consider knocking?" Alec questioned and watched me cautiously. My eyes were burning with anger at the thought of Chase Jackson being back in my life, threating my family was crossing the line. "Is Chase Jackson a new recruit?"

"What?"

"You heard me." 

"Jordyn I have no idea what you mea-"

"ENOUGH. Alec I'm not fucking around today. The guy I walked in on you talking to, is he joining the New York Institute, Yes or No?"

"No. We stopped bringing in recruits since you and Trey arrived, there was no need to right now. He's asked to gather information for past Shadowhunters in the Paris Institute, including you."

"Of course he has. Bet he couldn't wait to see my file." I said rolling my eyes and trying to process the past twenty minutes in my head. Chase Jackson wasn't here for no reason. He's here for me, I'm certain of it. 

"I can refuse your file if that would make you feel better but I'd need a very good reason for the Council. Can you give me the reason?" 

I started pacing back and forth, my hands grasping my face so tightly as though I was imagining it melting, I was in the midst of a panic attack and I couldn't afford that right now. Breath in. Breath out. I kept trying to settle myself but was majorly unsuccessful. I couldn't tell what it was I was afraid of truth be told. The idea of my family finding out just how much of a bad girl stereotype I was, or the risk of Chase retaliating at me by hurting someone I care about. As far as that goes I care about a hell of a lot more people than I once did, I made his choices large and I can't do a damn thing to stop him without compromising myself. I did, however, know two things for absolute certainty...

He could never find out about the baby, and Trey couldn't come home just yet. Not that I'd be able to convince him of that without destroying any chance of return for us. So instead I called Sabine, his grandmother. 

"It's been a long time since an angel like you picked up their phone with me in their mind, are you looking for Trey? Swear that boy never answers his phon-"

"Actually Sabine," I cut her off, "I was hoping to speak with you. Could you spare me a minute?"

"Anything for the woman who's captured my grandson's heart." 

"I'd be lying if I said he hadn't captured mine also." I smiled at how openly I was willing to say it out loud, that I loved Trey Crossfire. If you'd have told me a year ago I would be where I am now I would've put a throwing knife through your chest. I hadn't noticed how much I had changed until right now. 

"Now, what can I do for you doll?" Sabine said, her voice laced with a heavy southern accent that made me smile to hear, Trey's voice was nowhere as thick but it was always there. The soothing sound made me feel even more at home when I'm around him. "I need you to convince Trey to stay in Texas for another week or two." I said, gritting my teeth when I thought about how hurt he's going to be if he finds out. 

"I trust you have a good reason. But know how excited he's been to see you again, he really loves you doll and I don't want that to be for nothing." 

"It's not that I don't want him here Sabine, but-"

"What is it? Angel I can hear the stress in your voice and trying to mask it is making it a whole lot worse." 

"Sabine I don't want to force you to lie to him."