Normality

It'd been a long three months without Alec Lightwood-Bane running the New York Institute. To say that the place fell into madness would be an understatement, it was chaos. I rounded the corner on my way to the ops centre to await Isabelle's instructions. Alec had placed our strong-minded sister in charge whilst he was on his honeymoon and she'd be damned to disappoint him. And no one dared cross Isabelle Lightwood, not even Jace. 

There she stood, demanding respect over us all, delivering our assignments. Alec couldn't have picked a better person to stand in his place. She was a born leader. "As you may have already heard, there have been a string of demon attacks around the city as a result of the days festivities. Halloween tends to bring out the demon activity in New York. Nevertheless, we have a job to do. I have individually assigned you all locations in the city to patrol, any issues come directly to me. Dismissed." 

"I, for one, hate Halloween." Jace started on what we all predicted to be a year long rant. Izzy and I gave each other a look before turning back to our brother, "Clary has been trying to convince me to 'embrace it' each year. It's ridiculous." he said with over dramatic air quotes. Clary must've heard the complaining as she appeared moments later. "Jace Lightwood I'll have you know that Halloween is awesome and our son or daughter will 'embrace it' to the fullest whether you like it or not." 

My glance moved away from the no doubt fascinating debate and landed on Clary. She was only just showing now a small baby bump, of which her hand gravitated to, and she looked radiant as ever. I couldn't remember holding myself in such regard when I was pregnant, but that will have had something to do with the stage of depression that I clung to after Trey walked out. Clary's lucky to not have that on her mind, Jace has been amazing lately too. When the debate ended as anticipated with Clary winning, Jace headed off to his mission. I was still on leave as far as Alec was concerned, what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him. "I'll head out to Queens. Trey has the twins until later tonight then he's on patrol, I'm free for duty." 

"Take a night off if you want." Izzy stated as if it were more of an order, "You and Trey haven't exactly seen much of each other lately, go spend some time together." 

"Iz we're undermanned as it is with Alec gone, plus the Council are visiting when he gets back, you need me here."

"And your kids need their mom at home, don't you miss them?" I scowled at the attempt of emotional manipulation, "Of course I do Iz, but this is my job, my life even. I can't lose sight of that just because I have children. Mom didn't." 

Izzy rolled her eyes, "Yeah but Mom wasn't exactly a role model, you're better than that Jord, let me assign someone else. Go. Home." At this point my darling sister was basically pushing me out of the Institute doors. "Fine..." I dragged out the single syllable word in annoyance. 

I could've sworn I heard her voice behind me as I headed back towards the loft, "You won't regret it." 

...

TREY'S POV 

"Izzy just texted. Jordyn's on her way back." Jace's voice sounded from the front room as I placed down the last few details of my surprise. Alec was helping control Magnus' obsessive use of decoration. They'd gotten back this morning and we wanted to surprise Jordyn. It was coming up to the anniversary of the accident in Paris and I knew she was stressed out, not that she'd ever admit it. She's, for the past week, done what she always does at this time of year... Worked until her energy was so low that she could throw herself into a coma like sleep, wake up, repeat. 

Not this year. 

The rest of them all cleared out until it was time, I didn't think she'd appreciate being bombarded with faces the second she walked through the door. The twins crawled toward me and I picked them up with the biggest smile on my face.