Chapter sixty-two

Chapter sixty-two

"When do you think he will come see me?" I glanced over my shoulder at Marcus, watching as he looked vacantly at his hands

I sighed and stood up, moving my legs towards him and crouching down in front of him. I took his hands in my own, causing him to look at me as I gave him a soft smile.

"This will be a lot for your father, Marcus. I told you that it might be like this." I told him softly as he looked back down at our hands. "He didn't know that you existed, and if I could change that I would. But he knows now, and all we can do is give him time. I promise he'll come and see you very soon."

It broke my heart seeing my son so upset. But I could understand why Bellamy was being distant.

"Who's that girl he was kissing, do you know her?" Marcus looked up at me with big doe eyes. I nodded in response.

"That's Echo, remember I told you about her?"

"Yeah," Marcus nodded. "Wasn't she bad?" He wondered, causing me to sigh ever so slightly.

"She done bad things, but that doesn't make her a bad person." I told him, placing my hand on top of his. "And if your dad believes she's a good person then we can take his word for it."

Marcus nodded understandingly before standing to his feet as I followed suit.

"Okay mom. I'm going to get some sleep, is that okay?" He asked politely as I smiled and ruffled his hair slightly.

"Of course, come on." I gestured for him to follow me and he did. We walked out of the current tent we had been talking in and made our way over to Clarke and Madi's tent.

"Hey," Clarke said quietly, looking back at Madi who was sleeping. "Ready for bed?" Clarke asked Marcus as he nodded sleepily.

I watched him crawl into bed beside Madi as he quickly closed his eyes for the rest of the night.

I nodded my head at Clarke to follow me outside so that we could talk privately.

"Everything okay?" Clarke asked as I pursed my lips together and shook my head.

"I don't know what to do, Clarke." I began as she looked at me sympathetically. "It's been three days, and I know I need to give him time but he hasn't even said a word to me or Marcus."

I knew Clarke didn't have the answers for me. But honestly, I just needed to vent. Having to see my son so down because his father wouldn't even acknowledge his existence was heartbreaking.

"He's probably still in shock, Sawyer." Clarke tried to reason with me as I sighed.

"I know and I get that, I do." I paused, trying to find the right words. "But it's his son. He can't just pretend that like he doesn't exist." I watched as Clarke's eyes moved from mine and focused on something behind me instead.