Chapter sixty-four

Chapter sixty-four

"Sawyer!" I stopped walking at the mention of my name and as I turned around to find out who it was, I was greeted by Echo

"Sawyer!" I stopped walking at the mention of my name and as I turned around to find out who it was, I was greeted by Echo. I politely smiled at her, and I could barely make out the smile she gave me in return through the darkness of the night sky we stood under.

"Hey, everything okay?" I wondered, curious as to why she had stopped me. Although, by the look on her face I could tell she wanted to talk about our 'situation'. But in reality, there wasn't anything to talk about.

"Yeah, I just wanted to get a second to talk to you." She gestured her hand out to her left suggesting that we go somewhere private to talk, away from the people that were currently passing us by. I nodded and followed her through the tents until we came to a stop in front of hers and Bellamy's.

"I wanted to make sure you're okay," Echo began as I pressed my lips together and watched as she sighed. "If I'm honest, I feel like I owe you an explanation-"

"Echo," I interrupted her and shook my head. We locked eyes and I could see the guilt on her face. "You don't owe me anything. Bellamy, you, everyone thought that I was dead. You have nothing to feel guilty over and I don't blame you for the way things are."

"But I know how much you and Bellamy loved each other, and I want you to know that me and Bellamy didn't happen immediately." Echo informed me. I felt a lump begin to form in my throat and I didn't know if I could actually bear what Echo was about to tell me.

"We had to force him on that ship. Murphy had to sedate him and when he came round on the Ring he didn't speak to any of us. It took him three years before he started acting like himself again." I looked away from Echo and quickly wiped a stray tear that had fallen. I continued to hold back the rest of my tears as Echo stepped forward and put a hand on my arm.

"I don't want you to think that I'm telling you this to be cruel because I'm not," She continued, and this time I looked back at her. "But I know if it was me that I would want closure, and I would want to know that I wasn't just forgotten as soon as I was gone. You weren't. He was a mess without you." She stroked my arm comfortingly as I sniffled and nodded.

"Thank you," I told her as her eyebrows furrowed slightly. "For helping him." I stepped back from Echo as she nodded.

"About Marcus," Echo began. "Bellamy really wants to be a father to him, he's just having a hard time figuring out how to." She stated and I swallowed hard and nodded.

"I get it. But Marcus won't wait forever." I told her as I took a step towards the entrance of her tent. "And neither will I." I turned and left without another word to Echo.

I didn't blame her for being with Bellamy. I didn't blame Bellamy either. If I blamed anyone then it would be myself. I let myself believe that Bellamy would somehow wait for me. It was naive and stupid of me to do so and now I was paying the price.