Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I stand in the lab with Adam, Bree, and Chase who had these neck braces things on, something to do with their chips. Leo and I stand next to Big D, who had this computer with him.

"Okay, now we'll check your bionic reflexes. First the left arm." Big D says, before pressing a button and all three of them hits with their left arm making me giggle. Adam groans. "Okay, now the right arm." He pressed the button, and everyone hits with their right, making Adam groan again.

"Oh, I hate this game!" Adam comaplains, as he was in the middle so he got hit the most.

"Okay, Adam. Well, you can sit this one out. I'll just do Bree and Chase." Big D offered. Bree and Chase then hit Adam, making Adam groan and making me laugh.

"Come on, Big D, it's summer vacation! Let's hit the beach. Slap on some shorts and show everyone your pasty little walking sticks!" Leo grinned.

"Not now, Leo. We're doing some routine bionic chip maintenance. Besides, this is fun, right, guys?" Big D asked and I scrunched up my nose.

"Good times."

"A blast."

"Okay, are we done here? I wanna go be normal for a while!" Bree also complained, before taking off her neck thing and throwing it at the computer making it spark. I cringed a little.

"Yeah, Bree and I have some shopping to catch up on." I agreed and Bree flashed me a grin.

"And by shopping, she means watching boys at the mall." Bree grins. I rolled my eyes, my hearts only got one boy, thank you very much.

That's when Tasha comes in. "Can't we go just five minutes without something sparking, exploding, or oozing around here? Ever since summer vacation started, it has been like one long science experiment." Tasha added.

"I'm sorry, honey. I... you know... maybe... maybe Leo's right. Maybe we need to take a break and go to the beach." Big D says, making me squeal.

"I love the beach!" I say, grinning.

Everyone started to cheer. "We'll take a whole weekend, as a normal family, you know? No gadgets, no phones. We'll do it totally tech-free." Big D agreed. Tasha seemed to agree with that.

"Oh, that is exactly what I need. You would really do that for me?" Tasha asked, smiling.

"Of course. You are way more important to me than the amazing innovations born of my genius." Big D says cockly. Tasha then walks off, I watch everyone clean up the mess. I walked ove to Adam, who didn't seem to be doing anything.

"Wow, Big D, it's really nice of you to blow off work for my mom." Leo said.

"Well, you know, Leo, now and then, everybody needs a little piece and..." Then, a big klaxon blares. "Quiet!"

"It's the early warning satellite system." Chase pointed out. I looked over at the monitor and there was a big sign saying 'warning'.

"It's detecting a giant solar flare. When that thing hits the atmosphere, it'll cause massive power failures and a total blackout of satellite communications." Big D explained.

"Okay, I should tell my mom we're not going to the beach, then." Leo was about to run off but Big D cuts him off.

"No, no, no, no. Don't tell your mom a thing about this." Big D tells Leo.

"Oh, right. Let's just ignore the biggest solar flare in history to keep the little lady happy." Chase remarked a small smile left my lips.

"Don't worry about the solar flare. I'll handle it. Just pack your stuff in the R.V. and get ready to get your beach on!" We all looked at Big D, cringing. "I know nobody says that. I know that."