Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine 

"Well, Bree, you smashed your chip so badly, it's useless," Davenport tells her the next day as we were all in the lab. "But I was able to replicate my brother's original chip, and like my face, it's flawless."

"Forget the chip, we need to get this dude a mirror." Leo comments. 

"Wait, so I'm actually gonna be bionic again?" Bree beams. 

Davenport looks at her with a smile. "Yeah." 

"Yes!" Bree cheers. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" And she side hugs him. 

"Your chip's almost ready," Davenport informs her. 

The chip fabricator dings on the other cyber desk. "Ooh, snacks are done," Adam called from beside me. 

Davenport sighed and we all made our way to the chip fabricator. "For the last time, this is not a microwave. It's a chip fabricator." 

"Hey, call it whatever you want. I'm still making my mini pizzas in here." Adam tells Davenport. 

Davenport brings out the chips and holds it in his hand, turning to Bree. "Okay, Bree, hop in your capsule and get ready for your new chip,"

"Okay," Bree smiles and takes it from him and then walks over to capsule. Davenport walked over to the other cyber desk and touched a few buttons. 

"You know, Big D, if this works, maybe you can make a chip for me." Leo comments from beside him. 

Davenport laughed. "Please. Your body can't handle high fibre cereal." That's when Bree comes out of her capsule once everything's done. "So? How does it feel?"

"Like a piece of metal just got jammed into my neck and fused to my nervous system," Bree explained. 

Davenport cheers. "Whoo! Success! All right. Now, give it a try, see how it works." 

"Okay," Bree agrees and steps out into a clear space in the lab. She takes a deep breath and takes a step forward, but she went everywhere, destroying some of the place even and she lands on the floor. 

"Well, she's still more useful than Chase." Adam comments and I hit his chest lightly. 

I walked over to her and picked her up easily before putting her down to the chair that Leo had gotten for her. 

"You know, technically speaking, your bionic are working." Davenport points out. 

"You call this working?!" Her voice was deeper than usual. "I can't control my vocal manipulation." Her voice was high pitched. "I can't control anything."

Davenport grunts. "I'm so close. It just needs a few tweaks." Davenport puts a trap around her neck. 

"No offence, Big D, but if your brother's the one who created the original chip, then maybe we should call-"

"No! Forget about it!" Davenport cuts me off. "I never wanna see that waste of space again." 

"But he's our only hope." Chase points out. "And he's not all bad. He did save us from Krane." 

"Yeah, you know what else he did? He blew up the hole lab, kidnapped you, and stole all my money," Davenport reminds us. 

"All I'm hearing is adventure and excitement," Adam admitted. 

"Look, I do not need any help from Douglas." Davenport finalised. "I will fix this. Okay? Give me a little credit. I happen to be a tech genius." He takes off the trap from her neck after fiddling with it Bree stands up. "Okay. Let's give it another go."

She then went super speeding backwards, making me cringe as she crashes into the wall. Adam laughs. "Oh, Mr. Davenport, you are not good at your job."

-

"Did you try it?"

"Yes, I tried that." Davenport quickly said, as he was trying to fix the chip, with Leo basically breathing down his neck as Leo, Bree, Davenport and I are down in the lab.  

I sat on the chair, watching from afar. 

"Maybe-" 

Davenport straightens up. "Maybe you should stand over there so that your peanut butter breath wouldn't distract me and I could think!" Something went wrong and Davenport drops all his tools as the sparks on the chip flairs. "Ow! You know what? I need a break. That's it, I just need a break, that's all. Whoo! Break time! Ha ha ha!"

With that, he left the room. "Wow." Bree murmured. "I have never seen him like this."

"I have," Leo tells her. "Remember last Christmas when he gained two pounds?" I snort at the memory. "Those fluffy sweaters weren't fooling anybody,"

"I'm scared, guys," Bree admits. "What if he can't fix my chip? I had a gift, and then, I just threw it away. By destroying that chip, I destroyed our team." 

Later that day, I superspeed Leo and I to the park, we went looking for Douglas. We figured, if Davenport couldn't do it, then his brother most likely can.