18

|||||

|||||

Ashton groaned as her phone buzzed on the bedside table, waking her from her sleep. The coldness behind her let her know Deran was gone, a soft groan leaving her mouth as she reached for her phone. She swiped the screen blindly and held it up to her ear, her heavy breaths sounding in the speaker.

'Hello?' She croaked.

'Hey, baby doll,' Eli's voice sounded in her ear.

'Hi, babe.'

'You alright?'

'Yeh, you just woke me up.'

'Shit, sorry. But, you know it's like ten, right?'

'Yup. Wasn't planning on doing anything today.'

'I'm surprised Smurf doesn't have you running around.'

'Well, if you answered my call last night, I could've told you sooner that we left Smurf. We're doing our own thing now.'

The line fell silent, her mind falling back into the world of sleep as she waited.

'You what?' Eli finally queried.

'We all left Smurf,' She mumbled as she drew in a long breath; 'We're running our own jobs now.'

'Shit... Holy fuck.'

'I know.'

'Wow.'

'Yeh.'

'Does this mean I can come home and not be killed?'

'No, cause she's got J under her wing now. And who knows what he's capable of.'

'Damn it. Ok. Can you come to me then?'

'After these next two jobs, I'll be set to do whatever I wanted.'

'Ok, well, how about beforehand, you open the front door.'

'What?'

'Open the front door, babe.'

She sat up quickly, moving to stand and peak out the doorway. A gasp left her mouth when she saw the silhouette behind the blinds, Eli's laughter sounding her her ear. She dumped her phone on the couch as she ran past it, yanking open the door to hug her best friend. He laughed in her ear as he wrapped his arms around her, leaning his head down to kiss the side of her neck.

'Hey,' He whispered.

'Hi,' She sighed.

She stepped back and pulled him inside, shutting the door behind him.

'What're you doing here?' She grinned.

'Stop over, I head out at midday for Noosa,' He pressed her up against her door; 'And was hoping to convince you to come with.'