20

|||||

|||||

Ashton held up the glass she was cleaning to the light, checking it for specks. She'd been cleaning up behind the bar for Deran, cleaning glasses and organising beer. Deran was up the ladder fixing the lights, both of them waiting for Craig. She'd been there since dawn with the man, both of them working quickly. 

'What's up, man?' Craig greeted as he strode into the bar with Nicky trailing behind.

'You said you were coming in early,' Deran stated as he climbed down the ladder.

'It is early... Yo, man, I got lost. You need to put a, uh, sign up on the place.'

'No. No sign. It's cooler that way.'

'Oh, it's cooler when people can't find the place?'

'Yo, I can talk to my guy, he can get you like a neon sign. Nothing fancy, just enough for people to know where here.'

'Your guy?'

'Yes, I have contacts outside you guys.'

He scoffed and yanked a keg up, 'Can you help me with these kegs, please?'

Craig sighed and grabbed the remaining keg, carrying it through the building after Deran.

'You sure this place is ready to open? It looks like it needs some more work,' He stated; 'Like a lot.'

'No, I don't want it to look polished,' The man replied.

'Well, mission accomplished.'

They placed the kegs down in the side room and wandered back out, Nicky smiling as she looked around.

'Hey, I think it looks awesome,' She informed him; 'What time do you want me to come over tonight? I can help you set up.'

'No, I'm sorry. You can't come,' Deran sighed as he walked around the other side of the bar.

'Why not?' Craig asked.

'Do you want me to get shut down?'

'She's got a fake ID.'

'No.'

'Yo, man, that's bullshit. You're letting Ash in.'

'Because I'll be in an hour before and gone half an hour after, Craig,' She stated as she placed the tea towel on the bar top; 'She's planning on coming and staying.'

'If she's not coming, neither am I.'

'Okay. Then don't come,' Deran muttered

'Whatever,' Nicky shook her head; 'I got shit to do.'

'You sure?' Craig queried.

'Yeah. Come on, I'll go call you an Uber. Not cool, man.'

'Just hurry up, okay? We gotta hit San Onofre and start drumming up some business.'