35

|||||

|||||

Ashton sat on the sand beside Eli waiting to surf, eyes scanning the water and checking sets. The beach was full, people everywhere; mostly surfers, some just there to watch. She smirked over at Eli, his eyes flicking over his competition. It had been two months since she'd been home, and she hadn't regretted a second of it. Almost every week they managed to find competitions to surf in, social or competitive; sometimes surfing twice a week, sometimes more. She'd never been better.

'Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the junior portion of the Turtle Bay Resort Invitational. We're expecting a great competition today,' The commentators voice echoed across the beach.

'You good?' Eli asked.

She looked to him, 'Yeh... Just thought they'd come, you know?'

'Well, there is one person here that you invited.'

'Who?'

'Fish,' Michelle called as she waved madly; 'Eli.'

'Actually, I believe you invited your own mother.'

'It was a joint invite,' He reminded her.

She laughed, pushing herself up to stand to hug the woman after Eli did. They had been good, herself and Eli. She'd never felt closer to him, learning about all that he got up to when he was gone, just as he learnt about her.

'You guys ready?' Michelle asked.

'Yeh,' Eli smiled.

'I'm so excited, I haven't seen you surf in years.'

'Let's hope we're good then,' She smiled.

'You will be. I'm gonna sit here if that's ok.'

'Yeh, sure. You don't have to ask, Shell.'

'I know, I know, but you know, sometimes teenagers don't want to be seen their their mother.'

'Mum, we're adults now, remember? The big eighteen,' Eli tried to keep a straight face as his mother swatted him; 'Alright, I gotta go register for my heat, I'll be back.'

'Alright.'

Ashton sat down in the sand beside Michelle, bringing her legs up as she curled her arms around them.

'So, what's been going on?' The woman asked.

'Not much, surfing none stop, living life-' She sighed.

'Using protection?'

'Shell!'

'What? I'm too young for grandbabies.'

She threw her head back in laughter, Michelle watching her with a smile.

'Are they here?' She asked.