47

||||||

||||||

Ashton still hadn't been back to Smurf's, her body curled constantly into Eli's body each night and resting each day under the Kelly brothers and Michelle's watch. It had been three days since the shootout, since Marco died, since Pope was saved. He'd rung her that night in tears once more, telling her what Lucy already had. She'd been numb to it, but agreed to every little part of his plan.

Which found her sitting in his ute in a parking lot, her brother by her side as they waited. Her eyes followed an SUV as it came to park a spot up from them, Pope's head snapping around to watch the car pull in. She sighed, wincing as she slid off the seat and out of the car.

'You Charles?' Pope called.

'Robert?' Charles nodded.

'That's me.'

'I got it right here.'

The man turned and reached in the window of the passenger side, pulling out a blue duffel bag; holding it in his hands.

'It's all in there,' Pope stated as he handed Charles a yellow envelope full of money.

'Okay. Thank you,' He nodded, placing the envelope in the top pocket of his shirt before rummaging through the bag to pull out a small bottle of clear liquid; 'Mix it in a drink. Doesn't taste like anything. Knocks em out, so make sure you say your goodbyes first... When they're unconscious, give them the helium... Use the exit bag. Make sure you pull this tight to seal it, all right?'

Pope took the bag, 'No pain, right? I don't want her to suffer.'

'This is how we did it with my uncle. He was so sick by the end, he was begging. It's a good way to go. Dignified. You're giving your mother a beautiful gift. How long does she have?'

'Not sure.'

'Hey. Hang in there, huh?'

Pope nodded, turning away as Charles began to round his car.

'Thanks,' Pope called.

'You're welcome,' The man nodded.

Ashton slipped back into the car, letting her brother place the blue bag in her lap as he got in beside her. They both sat for a second, eyes staring straight ahead through the windscreen.

'You really gonna do this?' She asked quietly.

'I don't know,' Pope sighed.

'I'll support you if you do. You won't have to worry about the boys, I'll deal with them.'

'Thanks, Ash.'

|||||

Ashton sat on the couch beside Eli, tucked under his arm with her feet up on the couch beside her. She leant into him when he kissed the top of her head, a soft smile flittering over her lips.