37

|||||

|||||

Ashton woke the next morning to find J missing from the bed and the house filled with voices. She groaned when the bed bounced, hair tickling her face as Craig leant over her. He nudged her cheek with his nose as he made the types of noises you'd make toward a child, Deran laughing somewhere in the room. She pried her eyes open, groaning again as she rolled her head slightly to look up.

'Morning, Ashy,' Craig muttered before pecking her lips. 

'Hi,' She croaked; 'What're you guys doing here?'

'What're you doing in J's bed?' Deran quipped. 

She flipped him the bird as she rolled over, hiding her face in her pillow.

'Come on, get up,' Craig ripped her blankets from her body; 'Breakfast's ready.'

'Carry me,' She raised her arms in the air with her eyes closed. 

'Get her, man.'

Deran groaned as he chuckled softly, tossing her over his shoulder; a squeal left her mouth. He carried her out of the house, throwing her down into a chair at the outside table. She rubbed her eyes as he kissed her forehead, moving to sit across from her.

'No cilantro,' He stated as Nicky stood by the table. 

'Oh, and OJ,' Craig called after her as she walked away. 

Ashton shook her head, piling food onto her plate as she tucked her foot up onto the seat; wrapping her arm around her leg.

'You know, some guy came into the bar the other day asking for a screwdriver with turmeric in it,' Deran stated. 

'Turmeric?' Pope retorted as he approached the table.

He sent his youngest brother a point look which he avoided, keeping his gaze down. The Wright girl looked up at Mia as she walked out of the house, sending her a tight smile before biting into her toast. 

'Wow. Family breakfast. What's the occasion?' She drawled as she eyed off the food. 

But no one answered her, Pope staring at her critically. She eventually got the message, let out a sigh as she took and slice of toast; leaving the yard. 

'Who's that?' Pope asked.

'Just a friend,' J muttered.

All the boys stared at him as Nicky walked back out with what Deran and Craig had asked for, standing by again. 

'Tapata­o,' Deran stated.

The girl huffed in reply and strode into the house, leaving them alone again. 

'You got someone staying here? People don't stay here,' Pope chastised. 

'I have people stay here,' Craig chimed.