46

|||||

|||||

Ashton sat slouched in a diner chair, facing the main door and Mia as she sat at the first table inside; themselves sat at the last. She tapped her leg with her hand, eyes constantly flicking out to the carpark whenever a car pulled in. She sat up when she spotted the familiar ute that Lucy owned, J beside her; nodding subtly toward Mia. The Wright girl placed her hands on the table, leaning forward as she watched Lucy like a hawk as she entered the cafe.

Lucy stood over them for a second before she sat, 'What's gonna stop me from grabbing you and taking you to Mexico right now?'

'Smurf wouldn't care. That's why I'm here,' J shrugged.

'You brought a friend.'

J tensed a little beside her as Lucy looked over her shoulder at Mia, a small smirk on her lips when she looked back at them.

'Why don't you tell me what I'm walking into?' The woman asked.

'What do you mean?' J asked.

'Your uncles? Or did Smurf hire outside muscle, like when she had Baz killed?'

'How many men did you bring with you?' Ashton spoke up.

'Three.'

J nodded, 'We just want our money back.'

'We? You realise your uncles protect Smurf cause she's jerked them off since they were little boys, right?'

'I'd watch it,' She sneered.

'She's done worse to you, sweetheart... You're both smart enough to know she's just using you. You're smart enough to see that when Smurf's done with someone, she just throws them away.'

'Are you done?' J asked.

'Vamos.'

Lucy pushed herself out of her chair and strode toward the door, putting her sunglasses back over her eyes. Ashton stood and strode after her, stuffing her hand into the pockets of her jacket; a scowl on her lips.

||||||

'Was Lucy talking about your abuse?' J asked.

'Yeh,' She sighed; 'It was worse when I was a kid because I'd hide it just so I could stay. It wasn't all the time, just when she was mad.'

'Why did you stay?'

'Because I believed back then that no one wanted me, or would want me. Daughter of two druggies who died because they didn't pay. I just... I thought it was what my mum wanted.'

'Were your mum and Smurf friends?'

'Yeh, I guess. I only met Smurf a few times when I was a kid. She brought me things, pie, toys, clothes. Kinda liked her more then my actual mother some days.'